Jewelry Fell Into Sink Pipes - Need Help Opening Them Up

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desmondo

Reaction score
Hi all - so the wife dropped a pendant down the sink drain... I can't figure the thing out (total plumbing noobie). There's only one nut to open - so how do we get this thing opened up? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

9jhKcs5.jpg

Your plumber did you no favor. You have to cut the piece coming out of the wall off. Cut it off about 1" behind the elbow that connects the trap to the wall piece. After you are done, repair using a stainless steel shielded rubber 1 1/2" coupling. Then if you ever have to take it apart again all you have to do is loosen the rubber coupling and the nut you have already loosened.

acetone , put some on the foam.
fingernail remover is acetone,so is pvc cleaner

put in a spray bottle and spray it...it will disappear

I figured you would be well versed with the uses for acetone! :D

Your plumber did you no favor. You have to cut the piece coming out of the wall off. Cut it off about 1" behind the elbow that connects the trap to the wall piece. After you are done, repair using a stainless steel shielded rubber 1 1/2" coupling. Then if you ever have to take it apart again all you have to do is loosen the rubber coupling and the nut you have already loosened.

No comments on plumbing quality - it's a rental/condo in Boston.

This sounds easy enough, except what's the cheapest tool out there to effectively cut the pipe that I can get at Home Depot?

If I'm understanding correctly, I'm doing one cut on the straight pipe that goes right into the wall? I shouldn't have to remove much of that foam, then.

Then fix with one of these? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-1-1-2-in-EPDM-Rubber-Shielded-Coupling-P3000-150/100372284

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
the tool you will require is called a hacksaw

or any type of wood cutting hand saw.

a piece of string will work if you are quick enough.

fyi..if you switch out the p trap for the one shown by johnjh20
buy a street fitting 22 degree fitting. the center to center is different between the 2 traps
you will need the 22 to offset a lil bit

and, get a 6'' extension to go on the bottom of the sink into the trap

No that won't work like the other people who commented said get a hacksaw. That's a tubing cutter more typically used to cut copper it won't fit on the pipe you're trying to cut

Suck it out with a wet vacuum. remove the pop up plug and seal the over flow for better suction.

never tried a wet vac for jewelry removal, does it work?

I hava a huge chunk of gold from someones moller. LOL

I found in a drain, and a gold cross with chain

had a lady drop a $10k ring in a bath tub drain.
It was still in the horizontal tube and had not fallen into the trap.
I had set up my Home Depot bucket head vacuum and about to suck it out.
I turned it on and I had set it up backwards.
It was blowing. I almost blew it into the trap :eek:
Good thing it was a heavy ring. It was right on the edge of going over.

Flipped the hose to suction side and sucked that baby right out.

I fished a ring out of a tub trap once with a treble hook on some dental floss.
Tried several times with no luck. The last try I pulled it out tossed the thing in the corner and told the customer I was going to have to cut the ceiling below to take the trap off.
She replied " NO You Don't!!! there's the ring on the hook you just tossed in the corner" :D:D :cool:

Last edited:
Back