Jet pump low pressure

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DG1

Reaction score
I am having a problem with my well. The well is in a pit and it has a deep well 2 line jet pump. It has slowly lost pressure over the years and it will only get up to 40 pounds now.

I believe the ejector needs replaced but I have never pulled it up.

I have no idea how deep this is and have not seen a cap like this before.

Any insite at all is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20230908_084632359.jpg
    IMG_20230908_084632359.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230908_084617539_1.jpg
    IMG_20230908_084617539_1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Yes that is a strange cap. I would just disconnect the hose clamps and start pulling to see what happens. If it is a 100' deep it could weigh 200 pounds. 50' will weigh a 100 pounds.

Does a worn ejector sound likely? I do most things myself but I'm a little concerned about doing this. If I screw something up I could be without water. It is hard to find someone trustworthy to do this or help around here.

I would check the back pressure valve first. If it is not holding enough pressure back the ejector can't work. Checking the back pressure will tell you if the back pressure valve and pump are ok. If so, all that is left is the ejector and nozzle.

I understand about the back pressure but it has never been changed since I replaced the old pump with this one about 20 years ago. During that time my pressure has deteriorated to where it is now. I believe it is the ejector but how would I test the back pressure and what should it be?

No well experts her to give any input on this cap/seal whatever it is. No opinions on the ejector?

I think your pressure gauge shows back pressure while the pump is running. I believe back pressure should be around 60psi but I believe it can vary based off type systems and installation conditions.

But there may be conditions where the gauge is showing pressure but the water isn’t reaching the jet.

I don’t work on wells so let’s wait until someone who does chimes in.

No well experts her to give any input on this cap/seal whatever it is. No opinions on the ejector?
@Valveman has probably forgotten more about wells and pumps than most on here know about them. If the advice you're getting is not what you want to hear you should consider going elswhere and not wasting our time any further. Most of us also have full time jobs and families. A quick response is not generally going to happen.

@Valveman has probably forgotten more about wells and pumps than most on here know about them. If the advice you're getting is not what you want to hear you should consider going elswhere and not wasting our time any further. Most of us also have full time jobs and families. A quick response is not generally going to happen.
Wow. Sorry to upset you. I should have never posted a question about my pump and well on a Pump and Well forum.
How the hell would I know who is an expert on here or how many experts are on here?
This is why I rarely post anything on the web.
It will never happen again. Here or anywhere else.
I have a full time job and I found time to post this.......and so did you.

The lack of response may be an indication that no one has an answer for you. I usually don’t see the value added in responding with “I have no idea“. The pointer to valveman was probably to tag him so that he would see the thread in case he hadn’t, and maybe chime in, as he is the resident expert.

Sorry, we are not as helpful as you had expected, make sure to take advantage of our double your money back guarantee.

Glad to help. But in my 50+ years of fixing pumps I have never seen a cap like that. Like I said, just need to pull up to see what you have. Sorry for delay. Was babysitting granddaughter.

Glad to help. But in my 50+ years of fixing pumps I have never seen a cap like that. Like I said, just need to pull up to see what you have. Sorry for delay. Was babysitting granddaughter.
Thank you for your help. I sincerely appreciate it. It seems that I've caused issues here trying to gain some knowledge. I can't seem to find anyone local to do this job so I thought I'd try to gain knowledge to do it myself. I'll move along now and see if the administrator can cancel my membership. I wouldn't want the ability to ask any other questions.

Thank you for your help. I sincerely appreciate it. It seems that I've caused issues here trying to gain some knowledge. I can't seem to find anyone local to do this job so I thought I'd try to gain knowledge to do it myself. I'll move along now and see if the administrator can cancel my membership. I wouldn't want the ability to ask any other questions.

Wow. Sorry to upset you. I should have never posted a question about my pump and well on a Pump and Well forum.
How the hell would I know who is an expert on here or how many experts are on here?
This is why I rarely post anything on the web.
It will never happen again. Here or anywhere else.
I have a full time job and I found time to post this.......and so did you.
You didn’t upset me, we welcome everyone who wants advice and to learn. I was just trying to communicate that a speedy response is not always going to happen and like @wpns said replying with no advice or help seems pointless. You had been given advice, and your post made it seem like you didn’t want to take it or try it. No need to go anywhere we are happy to help. communication via internet can be challenging, I much prefer face to face. sorry if I came across rude, was not my intent.

I understand about the back pressure but it has never been changed since I replaced the old pump with this one about 20 years ago. During that time my pressure has deteriorated to where it is now. I believe it is the ejector but how would I test the back pressure and what should it be?

I think your gauge on the back pressure valve is just stuck. Those back pressure valves wear out and the pressure starts deteriorating.

We really are trying to help. I think I type much fewer words than I would speak if we were talking, and my text may make me sound like I am being short. I get people flying back at me like I insulted them, and I have no idea what I said wrong. I have had to get a little thicker skin to converse on the Internet. Even when someone is trying to be nice, they are probably saying something you don't want to hear in as few a words as possible. Nobody likes to hear the truth, mush less bluntly. Lol!

I had no problem with you or anything you said. Your response was completely fine. I was just trying to get as much input on my problem as I could. The issue is that I have water now and the pressure has been this low for quite a while. I was trying to get as much information as I could before I do this. It doesn't need to be done immediately.
My problem was not with you but with the guy above. He's talking about how I'm wasting people's time on here. The only time of his that was wasted was when he gave the unnecessary response. As I stated I didn't know if there was one person or 100 on here that would have helpful information. No further discussion about this is necessary.
Again Valveman thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back