Jelly Substance in Dishwasher Clog? How can I clean it? (filter blocking) Pics inside

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diyisthebest

Reaction score
This is a very newbie question as this is my 1st time touching a dishwasher but whirlpool can't even (or wont?) answer me what the 2 holes are (and all the manuals/parts list dont say it).

Model: Whirlpool DU850SWPS4

Issue: the machine works but there is a low puddle of water at the end of cycle, or even if I don't use it for a while

My "newbie" analysis (with pictures):
It's probably a clog somewhere, so after slowly sucking out all the water, I opened the first layer of the basket filter (which for some reason has no easy/screws to open), I had to pry it out with force:
FesAHwU.jpg

Now I see 2 holes on left and right (left is one with filter). The right is perfectly clean which I assume is the cold water supply into the washer. I then take it the left dirty one is where the water drains. Here is the closer pic of the left hole, which consists of jelly like substance (almost like gelatin). I could not suck it out with my turkey baster:
wJnnC5j.jpg

Firstly, what is this hole? And most importantly how can I clean it out. I cannot see a way to open that filter cross thing without breaking the machine. Is there a clog substance that I can pour it safely into? I've tried baking soda + vinegar before and it didn't seem to work. Maybe a garage vacuum?

If I were to call a plumber, how then would he fix it? Take it out and clean it from the reverse?

Don't call a plumber. They usually don't repair appliances.
They can replace the appliance.
Call an Appliance serviceman instead.
Maybe just a pump problem.
Or
If you are a DIYer, you can go find an appliance parts store and talk to them.
The one here has always been helpful to me.

Maybe some boiling hot water. Forget chemicals or vinegar & baking soda.
That just might make it worse.

thanks, will try put poke some holes via bamboo stick and then pour boiling water. so the left hole is the drainage hole right?

Latest posts

Back