Jackhammers and back surgery

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just had a plumber here with a scope and he found the two-inch cast iron drain line from my tub to the larger toilet line is fractured and mostly blocked. The cheap route would be to jackhammer through the floor to access the pipe for replacement, cost estimated at $7,500. He said some homeowners do the jackhammer demo themselves to reduce the bill. I am considering this, but have had four lumbar fusions. I am wondering if jackhammering would cause me grief. I used one once briefly many years ago for just a few minutes. That's the sum total of my jackhammer experience. I'll probably ask my doctor about this, but thought I would see if there is any conventional wisdom on the subject.

I would leave it to the guy installing the pipe.
Not to throw a wrench into it but there's another way to repair this, some guys like some don't, it's called pipe lining,there are co out there that will clean the drain,camera it, and line it the lining is just like pvc and no jackhammering but it can be pricey ....we have a co that does work for us and it's worked out great but I work for a university
And they have deep pockets it's just something to research if you wanted to

Jackhammer usage is extremely hard on the body. It's not worth it. I'm typing this 10 minutes after dropping a little giant expanding ladder on my toes. My foot is up, wrapped in ice, wondering if I broke any bones.

Thanks fellas:
I got a quote for having the pipe lined -- $14,000. Ain't happenin' at my house ever, as I just get by on Social Security.

Rereading your post, I honestly do not trust that plumber. Get at least 3 quotes, you just may find someone who would do this for considerable less money.
How much floor has to be jacked out? I jacked out 3 feet of 4" concrete in about 2 hours using a air chisel. Just saying.

In the middle of a reno project, slab on grade. (recent) First hand experience, if you have back problems you absolutely DO NOT want to be doing that job!

I'm with @havasu too, once the demo part is done, the pipe fix is easy - maybe $1,000 (retail)! So, if he'd be charging ~$6,500 for the demo labor and putting it back together.

Does he ever come north to Abilene/Sweetwater?:)
Wish he was closer. No, he's in California. Licensed there. Specializes in sewer inspections but also does pipe patch repairs. Saw him do three one day, same house, two under a roof, house and garage, one under a patio. Not rocket science but easy to do badly. Worth every penny.

I think the guy's too pricey for that work, but there are a lot of steps to even such a seemingly simple project. Maybe you can GC the work. First, I'd pull the permits as a homeowner. That'll cover everything except the plumbing. I'd call a sawcutting company (2 or 3 if you can get them to quote) and get a price on cutting the concrete to allow hammering and removing the concrete. You'll need to cover the walls and he'll need a wet vac/ water dam system to keep the water under control until he cuts through to the dirt. He'll need to expose enough surface dirt to allow working in the hole, including reaching under the tub to connect there. Maybe you can access that area from the other side of the tub drain wall? Anyway... Then, call a local labor force company and have them send a guy that can use a rental jackhammer and remove the concrete and dirt (save and cover the dirt somewhere for backfill), fully exposing the pipe to at least 6" below the bottom of the pipe. Then call three different plumbers and get a price to do the fix. Get their work inspected and completed, including backfill. You'll probably have to hire the labor force guys again to do the backfill. Then hire a concrete company to do that little patch. Absolutely none of this is work that you should do yourself. If you're like me, that's how you got this way in the first place! Good luck.

Last edited:
John, I am surprised that an under-the-slab plumbing repair requires pulling a permit, but apparently it might, at least in some jurisdictions. Things seem pretty loose here in west-central Texas regarding construction and repairs, but I will check. Thank you for your advice.

John, I am surprised that an under-the-slab plumbing repair requires pulling a permit, but apparently it might, at least in some jurisdictions. Things seem pretty loose here in west-central Texas regarding construction and repairs, but I will check. Thank you for your advice.
I didn't need a permit as well. It is best to check with your local municipalities for verification.

Latest posts

Back