Issue with flush valve locknut in changing the toilet fill falve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IntoTheMadcow

Reaction score
s-l500.jpgHello, I am having a issue changing my toilet fill valve I had issues with running water for several months and just now I bought the fill valve replacement part and while trying to remove my old fill valve I was able to turn off the water but was unable to remove the plastic locknut. I have tried everything using a wrench and turning it clock wise no matter how much I turn it wont open or loosen and it moves a little but it won't get open I tried holding the top of old fill valve to stop turning while I turn the locknut clockwise... I used a adjustable wrench. I will post a picture of the locknut I can't remove. I think they call it a flush valve nut.

It’s probably turning inside the tank below where you’re holding it.

I use an oscillating tool to cut those nuts off or a Sawzall when they do that.

Oh ok thank you so much twowaxhack I will use the sawzall. I just wanted to ask where should I cut with the sawzall directly on the locknut? also the part thats sticking out of the bottom of toilet bowl the part where the locknut is connected to that is not a part of the toilet it right the part the locknut is on where I would use a sawzall to cut it off that is part of the fill valve correct? Thanks !

Back