ISO Parts and Recommendations: Wall Penetrations

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchell-DIY-Guy

Reaction score
Hi, yes hopefully the pros with all their sources and experience can weigh in here. I need two things.

1. I made an above-grade wall penetration with 2" Sched 40 PVC; this is to provide intake air for the furnace; it's all done and installed. (note there is an identical 2" penetration for the exhaust). I'd like to dress up, so to speak, the penetration with a cover plate, or escutcheon plate, or similar. I need it in white plastic; no metal. It's to slide over 2" PVC. I cannot for the life of me find this; they all seem to stop at 1.5". Anyone have any ideas? Right now it's just all caulked up, but that doesn't pass my beauty test. (Note on my last home, the intake and exhaust were enlarged from 2" at the furnace to 3" before they penetrated the wall. The HVAC guy had some very specific cover assembly to dress it up.)

2. I need to make a below grade wall penetration for ¾" water line. The wall is standard block and brick. I'm looking for some kind of PVC/plastic model. I've seen a wide variety, some seemingly expensive since they are for large pipe, OR they are stainless steel, OR they are for casting in place to a poured wall, etc. In my case I'll drill the hole, install the sleeve. Maybe someone makes something that has an additional reducing collar? So, the sleeve may be say, 1.5" PVC or something, but a sealing and reducing collar allows ¾" copper to pass through.

Your thoughts, wisdom and any brands/models/techniques you have used are much appreciated!

The kit that we all get with Navien NPE series tankless water heaters comes with white plastic escutcheon/cover plates.
I can mail you some if you just pay the postage.
But find any plumbers listed on the Navien website in your area and I am sure they would have some lying around.
Alternatively, Oatey makes a "vent collar" in black semi-flexible plastic available in all sizes. They can be painted with compatible paint and would work.
The waterproofing solution for masonry walls has been covered here before. Metraflex is the primo and professional way to go and not cheap. Can be made to order for any diameters. Any other method is just to use good (polyurethane?) caulk and pray.

Back