Is this the stopcock and if so what tool do I need to turn off the water supply to the house.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jogey

Reaction score
Hello all,

Hi all, I have recently moved into a house.
There is a stopcock under the sink but when I moved in they told me there was also a way to shut the
water supply off from outside the house (but they did not explain how so I am trying to work this out in case of emergency and if the stopcock under the sink fails to work).
I am attaching a picture of the water meter box on the side of the house which as you can see has a device next to it with a round plastic area surrounding it and a screw with a cross in the middle of it. Is this the stopcock? This device is quite deep inside the box so if this is the stopcock what tool do I need to turn off the water supply? Do I turn off the stopcock by turning the screw in the middle of this device?Stopcock.jpg

First of all, welcome to the forum! Since most plumbers are from the US, we do have occasional experts from the other side of the pond who may be able to help you.

Do you have any valves between the building and the meter? That is where I would be looking first.

I can't see any valves between the building and the meter as the meter is attached to the side of the building, but I can see there is a
steel plate in the pavement outside my house which says on "W" . I suspect it may be in there

Looks to me like the valve control is just about halfway between full on and full off. If you turn it so that it runs across the inlet pipe it will turn the water all the way off. And if you turn it so that it is in line with the inlet pipe it will turn the water all the way on.

Over here we use these (about 2-3 feet long):

water turnoff key.jpg

I also thought Skeezix was on the right track, but not knowing English water meters, I was afraid to comment on it. Maybe your water department would be kind enough to confirm that this could be used as a shut off valve.

Back