Is this guy screwing me?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah21

Reaction score
I've been speaking with a contractor about redoing our shower. I had him write up an estimate, which included moving the showerhead up by about a foot. In the estimate, he had a $350 charge for plumming parts and labor (not including the new showerhead and valve). I thought that was probably reasonable.

Then I decided I wanted to move the showerhead to the opposite wall. He gave me a rough estimate that it would be about an additional $1000 to move it. The entire shower is already going to be ripped apart, so I don't understand how it will cost this much? Is his price way out of line?

It may or may not be a reasonable quote. Rerouting plumbing from one wall can be a real PITA! Your best bet is to get a few bids on the specific job. Also, keep in mind, that if you have already signed with a contractor, and decide to change plans in mid stream, this allows him to bump up his prices which he underquoted you, so try to avoid it at all costs.

If you want the whole valve assembly and showerhead moved to the opposite wall, then I would say that the price isn't too far out of line. If, on the other hand, you just want the showerhead moved, and there is nothing odd about the construction that I can't see over the internet, then $1000 seems high.

Just moving the shower head isn't that much of a problem, but re routing the piping is. Therefore no he's not screwing ya.
Any reason as to why you want to move the shower head to the opposite side?

Latest posts

Back