Is this a water shutoff valve and if not, what is it

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikael6

Reaction score
I have a 1 inch water supply line coming into an apartment building. It then hits a shutoff valve and then water meter and then takes a 90 degree bend going up. It then hits something that I am not sure what it is and I am trying to figure it out. It is a brass colored fitting with a handle. After that it hits a water pressure regulator valve (which I just had to replace and got me to start to think about what this other thing it). I'd like to know what it is for my own knowledge and also because I'd like to add another water shutoff valve to the main line coming into the building in case the primary shutoff leaks or stops working for some reason. However, I am not sure if this thing in question is a shutoff valve or not. I am posting some pictures of it here. If it is a shut off valve I wasn't able to figure out how to use it to shut off the water on the supply line.

20141022_135910.jpg

20141022_135919.jpg

It's a ball valve-- ON /OFF . all brass. made for in ground use at the meter

I figured out how to turn it. I was initially stumped because it was really hard to turn but I did it and it is indeed a water shutoff. thanks for your help.

Back