Is this a proper plumbing practice?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsb8739

Reaction score
We had our master bathroom remodeled, everything new. Vanity is a double sink. Under my sink the plumber has applied a mass of plumber's putty around the flange nut and threads, I assume because he detected some leaking in that area. My wife's sink is now leaking in the same spot, water drips from the flange seal down the threads and eventually pools on the cabinet flooring. I have attached pictures of each, with arrows pointing to the areas of concern. The drain ring in my wife's sink was not properly sealed with plumber's putty, would not hold water and I got the plumber back out here to fix it. He just worked putty in around the ring, removed nothing. We noticed the leak after this last trip, though I imagine it may have existed before but the items under the sink hid the pooling water. Is the molding of plumber's putty around the flange nut and threads a good and common plumbing practice? I have never seen this before. I want to know what to instruct the plumber to do when I get him back out here to fix the problem. The sinks and fixtures are Toto products. Thank you for any advice.

Plumbers putty with arrow.jpg

Plumbing with arrow.jpg

Can you request another plumber from the same company, or is the one that came out last time the only one available? Molding putty around the outside of the drain is not a proper fix.

You shouldn't have to instruct the plumber how to fix it, it is his job to know how to.

Kind of looks like he should of used some thread sealant like megalock around the rubber gasket between the China and washer. I have had trouble in the past with certain sink drains dripping from that location. This is only based on the picture. I would call the plumber back and tell him to do his job right.

I don't want to sound harsh, and if you review any of our posts from other threads you will see that we are very reasonable when it comes to installation evaluations and responses...But, John is right. No skilled plumber would use plumbers putty like that. It's not designed for that and only hack handymen do that for a quick fix-quick buck. It WILL leak through the putty and fall off. This is typical of general remodel contractors who hire "I got a guy who does plumbing" instead of a professional plumber. It keeps the cost down on the job, but is crap quality. Request a professional plumber to do both sinks properly.
It just chaps my butt to see stuff like that and people pay for it, sorry.
I'm very interested in any follow up on this issue that you could post to the forum so please let us know.

Last edited:
I appreciate everyone's input. The plumber is the sub used by our remodeling contractor and is a sole proprietor. I'm going back to the contractor and state that the workmanship is unacceptable. Again, I thank each of you for responding.

Latest posts

Back