Is sewer cover plate removal okay (safe)?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randall123

Reaction score
Is it okay to remove a sewer plate cover in the basement of my house, or does leaving it off invite toxic gases to diffuse out of the sewer pipes and into the house?

My landlord came today and removed the sewer plate cover in the basement, says he wants it kept off. Why? Because a couple years ago some pipes burst from the cold (northern MN) and flooded the basement so he is worried of a repeat incident and so wants a route of escape for any water from pipes that might burst and I completely understand his thinking.

I live in the house and I am concerned if keeping that sewer cover plate removed means I will be breathing toxic gases like methane, etc?

Thoughts? Should I be concerned? Or is this a non-issue?

Sewer gases are potentially very harmful to you and your family. Do not allow the clean out cover to be left off! If the landlord wants a floor drain...he has to install a damn floor drain. Do not let him harm you and your family!

under no circumstances should you allow the landlord to leave that cover off. Maybe give him a lesson on the harmful effects of methane gasses

Sewer gases are potentially very harmful to you and your family. Do not allow the clean out cover to be left off! If the landlord wants a floor drain...he has to install a damn floor drain. Do not let him harm you and your family!

So I am confused because the landlord says the drainage under that cover plate is separate from any sewer drainage, that it just drains overflow drainage or something. But where would any drainage go if not to the city sewer drainage system? And if that is the case couldn't methane and such back up into the house from that drainage?

I called the city water and sewage system and the employee that answered says she keeps her sewer plate off, has done so for years, to drain any rainwater that leaks into her basement, she made it sound like this was safe. But does that mean that her home is safe? Maybe she is getting fumes but is not aware of it, seems to me it could cause even low level toxicity. One thing she said she does is put a styrofoam cover over the drain hole instead of the heavy metal cover-- so if it rains or the basement floods the water would float the styrofoam and allow drainage--- should I just do that?

Should I still pursue this more?

I can't tell from where I sit what the drain in question is attached to.

If it is attached to an actual SEWAGE system, then it needs a trap, or a cleanout cover, to prevent sewer gasses, or roaches, or rats, or any other number of non healthy things, from getting into your house.

If it is attached to a storm water only drain, then it MIGHT be safe to leave open. But generally speaking, if it has a plug or cover attached, there is a reason, and it should be plugged or covered.

Reactions: SHR
So I am confused because the landlord says the drainage under that cover plate is separate from any sewer drainage, that it just drains overflow drainage or something. But where would any drainage go if not to the city sewer drainage system? And if that is the case couldn't methane and such back up into the house from that drainage?

I called the city water and sewage system and the...

employee that answered says she keeps her sewer plate off, has done so for years, to drain any rainwater that leaks into her basement, she made it sound like this was safe.

But does that mean that her home is safe? Maybe she is getting fumes but is not aware of it, seems to me it could cause even low level toxicity. One thing she said she does is put a styrofoam cover over the drain hole instead of the heavy metal cover-- so if it rains or the basement floods the water would float the styrofoam and allow drainage--- should I just do that?

Should I still pursue this more?

Well, No. 1 I would ask to speak to her supervisor and ask if this is good advice to a homeowner.

I am a$$-u-me(ing) this is drainage and not sewage. It must have interior or exterior drain tiles and either pumps it out (is there a sump pump?) or just collects excess rain water from outside that decides to penetrate your basement wall(s).

Regardless, it doesn't need to be exposed in your basement floor. Code dictates the cover be there but I bet there is no reference to removing it at certain times of the year for lack of proper plumbing...

Isn't RODAN able to swim underwater? :eek:

in my opinion, even if its a storm drain it needs to be kept plugged, storm drains do not use traps, they are high ways for rats

Yeah that concern entered my mind, not rats (we don't have them here in Duluth MN), but mice. There were mouse turds in several places when I moved in a few months ago, caught 4 mice first couple weeks, none since, but mice could be down there and come up through the open drain.

Is it the threaded plug from a floor clean out. If so then it should not be left open as explained above with sewer gas or anything else in the sewer.

Not threaded, just what looks like a manhole you see in a street. Two foot or so diameter metal plate (manhole cover) that is now slid off the hole which as a 6 inch or so metal pipe (end open) in dirt, to drain whatever.

Back