Is it ok to frequently turn off main water line?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsonka

Reaction score
I recently had my ice maker fail, flood my kitchen and cause various water damage.

In the process of repairing that but that failure has made me look at my other 1/4 turn valves and such. I have realized that all my 1/4 valves are 14-15 years old, and so is my dishwasher and the water lines going to that.

I have now become super paranoid. I have it on my next to do list to have a plumber out to replace 1/4 turn valves and my dishwasher supply line. However do to my surprise cost with my icemaker ordeal I do not have the spare money to do that yet.

My main water line shut off valve is super easy to access. If I turn that valve off when I leave my home for work and at night will it hurt anything?

If it is a ball valve, and you can get it to operate smoothly, it should be OK. Gate and globe valves can be problematic if they are over utilized, but gate valves are problematic if they are underused as well.

What type of water piping do you have?

There are also devices on the market which shut off in case of instances like this. The just attach to the isolation valve before the fixture gets connected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back