Is it expensive for leaking Drain, copper to cast iron area

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveBiel

Reaction score
omewhere behind kitchen cabinet near where it changes from copper to cast
iron, there is a leak. Should this be fixable repairing joint or replacing
a section with the copper going to roof and crawl space below? I am wondering
if they might come up with an excessively expensive replacing of all that
and over to the sink with plastic because they don't have the ability.
Any idea of price range for this?

Big price range. Crawl space size and accessibility and your location will determine the price. They do make transition couplings. Start budgeting for a repipe if they don’t sell you on 1 this time. And remember. That pipe started leaking after x amount of years. 6” up pipe is the same age. That new transition will eventually leak also. Don’t blame the plumber in 3 years. Replace as much as your wallet will allow and even go $100 more just to buy you a little more time.

The use of PVC pipe in lieu of copper or cast iron will save you a ton on labor and material. If it’s a 2 story bldg you’ll need to get it approved above the 1st floor by a Fire Marshall. The fact that you have a crawl space will save you money cause you won’t have to break concrete

We service a building that is notorious for this problem. The DWV copper from p-trap to cast iron No-Hub santee often rots out on bottom.
It typically a 4 to 5 hr repair. but it varies. Sometimes I have to open stucco, sometimes they recently installed new cabinets which make twice as hard.
Last one I did, they had restoration company in, and they removed the kitchen cabinet.
I replace the dirty arm with ABS

Before

IMG_6630 (768x1024).jpg

AFTER

IMG_6635 (768x1024).jpg

Got yourself a little bit of scrap copper. I know its probably an optical illusion but the pipe with the clean-out plug looks
like it is going down hill . Just lookin!!!!!!!

Got yourself a little bit of scrap copper. I know its probably an optical illusion but the pipe with the clean-out plug looks
like it is going down hill . Just lookin!!!!!!!
I noticed that in the photo as well but it's all good.
I've replaced more than 20 in that building.
Maybe half of them were back graded in the wall. I guess the dips couldn't drill a proper hole.

what really is messed up about that place is they had these funky dishwasher that fit under one side of a 2 compartment sink.
This left only a small area under sink for a disposal and not much else.
They continuous waste from the 2nd compartment are a real pain in the arse to fix if the basket strainer has to be replaced

Found some old pics of the original install and one where the disposal was removed.

I think I have a pic of one more some where

001 (1024x768).jpg

006 (1024x768).jpg

010 (1024x768).jpg 012 (1024x768).jpg

Last edited:
Back