Installing filter on old madeira kitchen faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi - I'm in an apartment with an old kitchen faucet (madeira?), and there's no under-sink shutoff valves for hot or cold. It goes straight into the wall. I'm wondering if I can still install an under-sink filter (i.e. Aquasana) and hook the cold water line somewhere in the small space between the wall and the faucet (pictures attached). Is this possible? Is there any other filter type (besides faucet filter) that I can use for this type of setup? Thank you! IMG_5740.jpgIMG_5741.jpg

No, but you might could install a filter in the water line under the sink if it’s accessible. If it’s not accessible you would need to cut the wall open to install the filter.

No, but you might could install a filter in the water line under the sink if it’s accessible. If it’s not accessible you would need to cut the wall open to install the filter.
Got it. So nowhere in those visible connections could I fit the T connector that the under-sink filters use on the cold water lines?

Maybe a pic of under your sink area would help determine what you have to work with?
The cold/hot lines go horizontally straight into the wall, then pass down through the wall (my unit is on the second floor) to the main water to the building. There's nothing under the sink except the drainage pipe. Is there a way to add short pipe extensions between the faucet and wall to give me the room I would need to install the filter? Or do those under sink filters only work with the newer flexible cold water lines?

Do you have a valve to shut off the water to the kitchen faucet nearby? If not, as said before, you're only choice if to add a water filter to the existing spout which would stay on the counter.

Do you have a valve to shut off the water to the kitchen faucet nearby? If not, as said before, you're only choice if to add a water filter to the existing spout which would stay on the counter.
No, there's only the main shutoff to the whole (4-unit) biulding. A stupid design of course.
So basically my only option are those PUR filters that connect right to the faucet spout itself? Is there another type of faucet filter I don't know about?

I put one of those filters on my sister-in-laws faucet that goes on the spout and she loves it. You just push a button
when you want the filtered water and then back again for regular water.

So, if you need to change the faucet itself... for whatever reason (wife just wants it) you have to turn off the water to all 4 units. That is pretty dumb. Must be real old.

Yes a filter like that. Not sure what Ludington is talking about. This screws on the end of the spout where the aerator goes.
Lynex said there is only the main shutoff, no way to shut off just the water to the faucet, so IF the faucet needs changing all 4 units lose thier water... crazy I think.

So, if you need to change the faucet itself... for whatever reason (wife just wants it) you have to turn off the water to all 4 units. That is pretty dumb. Must be real old.
Yes it's dumb but my landlord is okay with it. I'm just wondering if there's way to add a filter without changing the
Lynex said there is only the main shutoff, no way to shut off just the water to the faucet, so IF the faucet needs changing all 4 units lose thier water... crazy I think.
It is totally crazy, but not a dealbreaker. To be clear - my issue is not with having to shut the water off - it's just curiosity if there's a way to attach the "under sink" style filters to the small amount of exposed cold water line pipe (see original picture).

Back