Inspector says waste fittings are wrong?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SignGuy

Reaction score
Our 1916 house had old cast iron waste pipes which rotten through so I replaced the pipe with black plastic pipe. Coming down from the sink I had to use a couple of different angles to get it connected into a "Y". I used the black plastic cement and glued them all together, never had an issue.

The inspector was out looking at our laundry room plumbing today and saw the kitchen pipes (down in our basement). He said the fittings were all wrong and needed to be replaced. I've looked at all sorts of pictures online and my work looks just as good as those.

What am I missing? Should I be using white pipe? Should the fittings be the kind with the "O" rings? I thought the black w/glued fittings was correct.

If folks want a photo I'll put one up tomorrow after I get home from work. Thanks for your help.

spears_s40_pvc_fittings.gif

1 is used horizontal to vertical, but not vertical to horizontal
3 can only be used in the vertical.

4,5,6, are used in the horizontal to horizontal
and vertical to horizonital of a branch or main
but not for a trap arm

the other fittings are pressure fitting and can not b used in drainage
because they do not dierect the water

2005-4-8_DWV_fittings_w550.JPG

flood.jpg

Last edited:
Well that's pretty great Frodo. Looks like I need to do some more reading and studying before I go to the store and get what I need, thank you so much.

Back