Insinkerator 555ss strange noise and breaker

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cys

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a Insinkerator 555ss. This evening it started making a strange clanking grinding sound. After a few seconds its breaker popped. After a short period of time I reset the breaker and tried again. No joy. The same noise and the breaker popped again.

I then unplugged it from the pneumatic switch used to turn it on and checked inside for foreign objects. Nothing. I then disconnected it from the drain and peered inside. It appeared clean.

What could be the problem? At first I thought it may have spun a bearing but when the breaker pops, the blades spin down very quietly, so I think that might rule out a bearing. Or, could it be a bearing? What else can I do to diagnose this or better yet, repair it?

Cy

Have you attempted to use the allen wrench on the underside of the disposal and reverse directions a few times?

My thought is there is something under one of the blades.

I once went to replace one due to noise and once out a small set screw fell out from under a blade.

Maybe buy a replacement and once original is removed,check for a foreign object(s).

Looks like I have a solution, sort of. Replacing the garburator resulted in it acting the same way. I discovered that the outlet that my garburator is plugged in causes it to run rough and trip its breaker. Using another outlet (6-8 inches away) and both units work. Bad power? I can understand bad power for computers and other high tech devices but a garburator? Thoughts?

Back