Inside Water Meter Attach

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twind613

Reaction score
How can I attach my water meter to the wall or floor in a way that will look professional? The picture attached shows the 2x4 method I've used since switching my house over to pex from the water meter on. I've thought of using a piece of unistrut, but have not found an appropriate fastener at my local supplier to attach the unistrut to the meter. For reference...the metal elbow on the right is 1-1/4" from the wall to the center of the pipe. Any thoughts to share on how to make a professional looking installation?
Thanks
Barry
Indianapolis

Water meter.jpg

I have NOT seen an iron bracket like that before

Replace the street 90's with a regular 90 and a 4" nipple.
then use that nipple to hang it with some uni-strut.
Is that iron c-clamp thing necessary?

Thanks for the feedback Mr. David. Much appreciated. Yeah...that iron c-clamp looking thing is part of the meter assembly. When I replaced the main shutoff prior to replacing all the pipes, I had the city come out and shut off my water at the street, I mentioned that the meter had been leaking. The representative from the water company gave me new seals for it and instructed me on their installation, so I assume this style of meter was popular here at one time. My local supply house had no seals to fit this thing. The meter is a pressure fit inside that frame by tightening/loosening the wheel on the left...then you can plumb into each side of that frame. I've not seen another like this in my limited experience.

You can use unistrut and unistrut clamps. I use it for all exposed piping it look very clean. Also you are going to have electrolysis problems mixing the two different metals together

You can get a small pipe support that will sit under the 90. Not much different than the wood idea but will look nicer.

Thanks Journeyman. Yeah...the mixed metal thing has been on my mind. My first project several years ago was replacing everything between the wall and the meter. I replaced it all with the same types of pieces that were there originally, except for a ball-valve shutoff instead of the old steam-punk looking original shutoff which was never operable in the time I lived here. A change over to like materials is in the planning.

Thanks Chris. Never heard of pipe "support" before. I just now asked the google about it and it looks like a "split ring pipe support" might do the job. More research is in order, so I'll stop at the supply house tomorrow and see if I can look at one of these in person.

s-l300.jpg

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Empire-Industries-41ACT0038-3-8-Copper-Epoxy-Coated-Ceiling-Plate

41act0038-1.jpg

attach the ceiling plate to the wall,
attach the split ring hanger clamp to the pipe, with 3/8'' allthread rod inbetween.

Last edited:
Thanks Frodo!

no problem, you need to replace that new galvinised pipe and fittings with BRASS nipples and fittings.

in time, that galvinised is going to rust, when you start getting a rust taste or rusty looking water

thats where it will be coming from

NOTE IMPORTANT

those split ring hangers come in different sizes.

when you grab one at the store, BE SURE to grab a pipe from a bin, and check the fit

copper and galvanized pipe is a different outside diameter.

Last edited:
Back