Identifying toilet replacement flush valves/tank to bowl gaskets

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwyatt005

Reaction score
Newer plumber to residential service and was wondering if there a easy way of identifying what non OEM parts will fit different toilets. Twice now I've had my ass kicked by older American standard toilets and trying to match up tank to bowl gaskets that match or flush valve assemblies.

One had the older style tilt arm actuator flush valve (#4) and the other I believe was a
738356-0070A

Both times I had a prick of a time getting the korky valve to seal and not get a trickle of water into the bowl. Also the the gasket is so bloody thick it doesn't compress all the way.

Up here in Canada we use a lot of master plumber parts for replacement...but rarely do their product descriptions identify what they would match well with.... disassemble a tank and reassemble it to find it leaking is getting old.

I really don't want to be the plumber that tries to sell a new toilet when something simple is fixable....in theory as long as the porcelain is good why change the toilet especially in today's economy.

Thank you for your time.

If you post a picture of what you want to replace, that might help too?

Back