Ideas on removing rusted sink bolt

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhilbe

Reaction score
I’m trying to remove old bathroom sink hardware. The bolt holding the hot water threaded stem going through the countertop is rusted. The attached picture is looking up at the underneath side of the countertop. I’ve hit it with wd40 and later a penetrating lubricant. The nut is 1 1/2” 6 sided. I don’t have a wrench that exact size. I’ve used a couple adjustable wrenches. I’ve tried a couple different pipe wrenches. All with no luck. Given the space tightness and the fact the nut is not very thick, I have yet to be able to get a really good grip on it. I’ve already spent about $50 on a couple new wrenches and the lubricant - I’m about to call it quits and call a plumber. Any ideas are welcome. Thank you. EC950B03-38E0-4D8B-B6F8-00A3596A2F2A.jpeg7EB5332D-D8F7-4657-9262-1C775C3D2663.jpegL

Attack it from the top. Take the handle off.

Attach Vice grip type locking pliers underneath to hold it, lock them on so they spin against the wall when you turn it.

You may have to cut it off...

Actually it looks like the nut underneath is gone and the rusted steel washer is the only thing holding it on.

That what it looks like, might not be the reality.

That faucet came with an install wrench 🤓. FYI. I realize you don’t have it. ✌️

I’m trying to remove old bathroom sink hardware. The bolt holding the hot water threaded stem going through the countertop is rusted. The attached picture is looking up at the underneath side of the countertop. I’ve hit it with wd40 and later a penetrating lubricant. The nut is 1 1/2” 6 sided. I don’t have a wrench that exact size. I’ve used a couple adjustable wrenches. I’ve tried a couple different pipe wrenches. All with no luck. Given the space tightness and the fact the nut is not very thick, I have yet to be able to get a really good grip on it. I’ve already spent about $50 on a couple new wrenches and the lubricant - I’m about to call it quits and call a plumber. Any ideas are welcome. Thank you. View attachment 32745View attachment 32746L
For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to remove the handle. I looked at the cold water side of the faucet - which I have removed. It looks like the handle is permanently connected to the stem. The weird thing, the hot water handle turns 360 degrees. The cold water handle eventually stops whether you turn it clockwise/counterclockwise. When I turn the hot water handle, nothing turns underneath the countertop - the threaded hot water stem does not move when I continuously turn the above countertop hot water handle. Someone suggested heating the below countertop nut with a hair dryer - thinking the heat and then cooling back down might loosen up some of the stuck rust. I’ll gave that a try.

Thank you for the diagram. Unfortunately, I think the rust goes up into the handle. I tried unscrewing the screw that holds the handle….the screw head stripped. So I think I’m going to not left with trying to cut it out. We’ll see. Thanks for the ideas.

Be careful and not break the countertop.

break the handle off remove all the pieces you can. Then use a dremel tool to carefully cut the rest away.

wear safety glasses.

Got it. I took a hacksaw to the bottom of the handle. Sawed about half way through then I was able to somewhat pry the handle off. Then I removed a rusted clip on the top side and the rest of the stem fell out. On to putting the new faucet in. Again, thanks twowaxhack…..approaching it from the top was the answer.

Back