I wonder if the outlet is GFCI protected?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is well known that water is a good insulator.
A 12 story building we were on had a 4k sq. ft. basement, all concrete walls height was 14'. Copper thieves broke off the 2" brass water meter and severed the pipe. By the time we got there, the crypt was 3/4 full and the big electrical panels were in that pool up to their full height. Fire department who had been called to pump it out said there was "no current".

Last edited:
A building we were on had a 4k sq. ft. basement, all concrete walls height was 14'. Copper thieves broke off the brass water meter and severed the pipe. By the time we got there, the crypt was 3/4 full and the big electrical panels were in that pool up to their full height. Fire department who had been called to pump it out said there was "no current".
Shocking. I wonder what sparked those thieves to steal all the copper?

As my brother said (he was the one who sent this) "This is about as dumb as a pot filler. A faucet with no drain underneath! Don't these people know that after they casually and easily fill that 10 quart stockpot with cold water and bring it to a boil for their pasta, they STILL have to remove the pot from the stove and take it to the sink?"

Now, give me a stove with a drain...

A 12 story building we were on had a 4k sq. ft. basement, all concrete walls height was 14'. Copper thieves broke off the 2" brass water meter and severed the pipe. By the time we got there, the crypt was 3/4 full and the big electrical panels were in that pool up to their full height. Fire department who had been called to pump it out said there was "no current".
Google “ dock shock “ and read about it.

I have read of docks killing people, or at least seen murder thrillers based on it.
USGS article: Well actually, pure water (distilled, or deionzed) is an excellent insulator and does not conduct electricity. The thing is, you won't find any pure water in nature, so don't mix electricity and water. Our Water Science School page will give you all the details.
Lucky for hydrologists here at the USGS, water flowing in streams contains extensive amounts of dissolved salts. Otherwise, these two USGS hydrologists might be out of a job. Many water studies include investigating the fish that live in streams, and one way to collect fish for scientific study is to shoot an electrical current through the water to shock the fish ("zap 'em and bag 'em").
https://www.usgs.gov/special-topics...lectricity don't,t mix electricity and water.
Reminds me of the dock shock photo that has been around for years:
1707179194514.png

Last edited:
Back