HWT and Water Pressure

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck

Reaction score
Gents,
Lil issue I am having with my gas HW Tank. I have noticed some slight dripping coming from relief valve. I installed a new expansion tank at the same time of replacing HW tank 2 years ago. I just checked my static pressure and here are all my readings.

Static Pressure 100psi
running pressure 58psi
Expansion tank 98psi

I tried to lower (adjust) Back Pressure Regulator however my static pressure did not change.

I recently pumped air into expansion tank to 60psi when draining HWT and no water pressure was present.

I am an Electrician not a plumber so take it easy on me. From things I have read it seems I may have a bad Back Pressure Regulator. It is 13 years old. Is that the norm? Do you too think its the BPR? Also should expansion tank air pressure (prior to water pressure) be set the same as static water pressure? any advice is appreciated.

That would cause my pressure regulator to open and relieve some pressure in the Hot water tank? Makes sense. How about the expansion tank question?

You shouldnt need 60 psi, they come pre charged at 15 and that is usually sufficiant, if your static psi is 100 then you have a bad prv, recomend reducing the pressure to within code limits 50-550 kpa . 80 psi max..

That's what I thought too. Doesn't seem like it will be too difficult to replace except draining the system. That part sucks. Anyways, thanks for the advice. God Bless.

Back