How to solve water hammer or banging pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankli

Reaction score
The water pipe in my house always bang to make noise. I used water pressure gauge to measure the water pressure. I found that pipe will bang when pressure goes up over 75. So I adjust pressure reducing valve to reduce water pressure to 40 (normal situation). The banging pipe seems gone. But the water flow for second and third floors are small compared with before reducing water pressure. Also I found that if I don't use water (hot or cold) for a while, the pressure will go up from 40 to over 75. At this moment, pipe start to bang again. If I go to any faucet to open water, the water pressure will promptly drop to below 40. Then banging pipe will be gone.

My question is: is this banging pipe caused by thermal expansion from water heater? If not using hot water for a while, thermal expansion will push water pressure in pipe up to the point that water hammer occurs? Or is there any other reasons to make this banging pipe? What is the best solution to resolve this problem? Thanks for your help and input.

The most effective means of controlling water hammer is a measured, compressible cushion of air which is permanently separated from the water system. Water hammer arresters employ a pressurized cushion of air and a two o-ring piston, which permanently separates this air cushion from the water system. When the valve closes and the water flow is suddenly stopped, the pressure spike pushes the piston up the arrester chamber against the pressurized cushion of air. The air cushion in the arrester reacts instantly, absorbing the pressure spike that causes water hammer.

crismartin875:

Thanks for your technical explanation. Is Water hammer arrestors the same as expansion tank? They all provide pressurized cushion of air to the pipe in water supply system? Please give me plain words for the solution on my issue. Thanks!:D

IPC only requires them in the case of a fast acting solenoid valve, which are on icemaker units, dishwashers, and clothes washing machines. So in a standard house, that would be 4.

Frankli, does the banging happen even when you are not using water anywhere? If so, water hammer arrestors are not going to solve your problem.

Back