How to remove older Grohe wall-mounted faucet handles?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chi Yu

Reaction score
My bathtub spout has a drip leak I'd like to repair. I think some hack who came to give me a quote many years ago failed to reaffix these faucet handles correctly, so I'm not sure what's what. I think the hack didn't affix the cold handle properly so it comes right off if you pull it. The hot handle is firmly attached. There is a white plastic extender piece that connects the handle to the cartridge, allowing you to turn the water on and off. I think the extender piece also prevents the inner threads within the white sleeve from screwing onto the outer threads of the wall pipe, and that's why it falls off. Please note that the metal handles turn the cartridge while the inner white tube appears to be meant to connect the handle to the wall pipe. The inner white tube is independent of the metal handle itself, i.e. it is free spinning. It seems like other faucet handles have a cap that you remove, then unscrew something to detach the handle. The "end cap" on this metal handle appears firmly affixed. I can't twist it or stick anything into the seam to pop it. There's a plastic chrome looking dome that separates the turning handle from the tile. When pulling on the handle, I can make a gap about 1 cm, exposing a skinny black o-ring, but it's not wide enough to grab onto in order to twist the white tube to unscrew from the wall. Looking at the handle that already came off, I can see there are no screws or such that affix the handle to the wall. It's only the white tube with inner threads that affixes the handle to the wall. But I can't figure out how I'm supposed to unscrew the white tube on the hot handle to remove it. Or how to reaffix it once I'm done changing the cartridges. Any ideas? Thanks! Pictures attached

Attachments

• IMG_4398.JPG
    IMG_4398.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4399.JPG
    IMG_4399.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4403.JPG
    IMG_4403.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4414.JPG
    IMG_4414.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4405.JPG
    IMG_4405.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 8
Clarification: I think the white extender piece is not part of the official assembly and was added by the hack when he couldn't figure out how or didn't want to spend the time to properly re-affix the cold handle.

The hot and cold levers were originally horizontal but the hack put them back angled. Not that that matters now but in case you were wondering LOL

I've also tried calling Grohe but they keep putting me on hold and then disconnecting the call after 30 minutes of hold time. Grrrr

Back