How to remove old faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumber-0947

Reaction score
Hi,

I am in the process of replacing and old faucet, but can't see how to remove the handles. I cannot find any set screws in the handles and it looks like if I unscrew from below the washer will not slide off the bottom, so I am not sure how I can get this faucet off. Has anyone seen faucets like this or have any idea how I can get it off?

Thanks!

PXL_20220329_112203198.MP.jpgPXL_20220329_112222536.jpg

Start below and start taking it apart. You can then push it up a little to see how they connected the handles. I would figure the trim piece under the handles would unscrew along with the large brass nut underneath.

It’s a Grohe faucet and it should have a release button to push or set screws.

If you don’t find a release button or set screws, yank straight up. I believe they come off without tools. Pull really hard straight up.

Or you could contact Grohe and they’ll instruct you.

Got it, thanks! I am waiting for new faucet to arrive and will try unscrewing from bottom once it arrives. In the meantime, I have contacted Grohe.

Those are force push handles like TWX said. Underneath the knob is a nylon adapter with deep detents. It’s quite virtually dangerous because you have to apply a lot of hand force and then it releases all at once.

If it's Grohe but that old, does it mean it was made in Germany?

It was sold in the USA and made for USA market by Grohe America. Why would you care where it was made?

It was sold in the USA and made for USA market by Grohe America. Why would you care where it was made?

I was just curious. Isn't there different lines of Grohe and some were made in Germany so it would be cool if these were. I'm very fascinated and curious about the manufacturing of items through the decades. I read about Edwards Demings, for example, who was an American but taught Toyota in Japan how to improve quality and then reap the rewards in the long run. Until about 15 years ago, all Toto toilets were made in Japan and that is why their quality made them famous. So I was just curious if Grohe's that are old enough were made in Germany. I know they make them in China now but the quality is still decent for the price. I care about quality and not the "race to the bottom". I just bought a new Toyota Tacoma and even though Japanese companies that make the parts like Denso and Hitachi have their own factories in Mexico along with the Toyota plant, the items are all essentially made outside of Japan.

Maybe I'm weird and think about these things? Until 1985, if you purchased a Toyota or Nissand/Datsun, 100% of the parts were made in Japan and the car was assembled in Japan. Today, all the items manufactured are global I guess with parts coming from everywhere. So when something is old, I just want to know if it was made 100% in one country. Like Germany if it's old Grohe. This does not matter to most people? Are the Toto toilets from 15 years ago and were all made in Japan not better than the new Toto toilets? I'm just curious if that is true but don't know if it is. So I was curious if Grohe faucets made in Germany last longer.

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I was able to remove the handles by pulling upward. Now I can't get the next part off. I removed all that I could, but am unsure of what I need to do next. I assume that if I loosen the top nut (the second tier from the top) I can get the base off, but it is on there pretty tight. I sprayed some PB blaster in it but it just wont budge. Am I missing something? Would you assume the bolt is counterclockwise to loosen?

PXL_20220331_174932503.MP.jpg

Thanks I got one off, but now the other is completely stuck. Unfortunately I loosened the bottom part and am stuck at a point where I can't move the top screw because the bottom spins? At this point should I cut it off? I would rather not, are there any tricks?

Thanks so much! I am so close, but now the last piece that remains is the center spigot. I am able to twist the spigot from the top and use the wall and basin below to twist the bottom T connector. It seems like the bottom connector is moving down, but I am not sure. To test it I am snugging up the washer above the connector at the bottom, twisting the spigot a few times from the top, and then I can retighten the washer. Does it seem likely that this would twist off? I have been twisting and twisting (it's difficult because the spigot comes dangerously close to a mirror above and I have to apply a bunch of force to twist), but it still hasn't come off. Could there be another way to get this off?

PXL_20220401_120215395.jpgPXL_20220401_003318077.jpg

Pull the rubber gasket off, then the tee will slide off. The tee may thread on, it might not.

Then remove the nut at the top.

Back