How To Remove A Waltec 12 Shower Diverter Valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlie

Reaction score
I am trying to replace the diverter valve for my shower and I am unable to remove it. I've found one video and the person is able to remove the casing around the valve and then use a crescent wrench to unscrew it. On my version the metal casing is tight I can not hand unscrew it as he did, and there is no place to latch on to it with a wrench (1 on the picture).

The person at the hardware store seems to think that this metal casing is not supposed to come off, and there is some kind of tool to get in there and apply enough torque to twist the old valve out. I have not been able to find such tool, but have unable to apply enough torque using needle nose pliers and a vice grip. These needle nose pliers are the only thing I've found small enough to fit into the gaps (2 on the picture).

Does anyone have any suggestions? Can some one direct me to the correct tool? Or am I way off on my assumptions?

Thank You Kindly.

Diverter.png

I believe the guy at the hardware store should not be giving bad advice. Take that escutcheon off.

Use some kind of penetrating oil and let it set for a little while. That valve is not meant to be just pulled out just by taking the handle off. Like havasu said that plate should come off. Probably soap scum and hard water keeping it tight. Once you get it off then you can get a wrench inside to take the cartridge out. Cant tell by the picture but are there any screws holding that face plate on. If you ever wanted to replace that faucet that plate would have to come off.

Latest posts

Back