How to Pull the Pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rajsingh

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a pitless adapter about 3.5 feet into the ground. I'm trying to pull out the pump and I made a T handle using three 1 inch black pipes and a 1" tee, but I was unable the pull it up.

Is there any screw that I need to unscrew before pulling up the pitless adapter and the well pump behind it. The pump is about 80 feet deep. The pitless adapter has a 1 inch pipe screwed on it that comes out all the way to the top.

Three years ago, a friend of mine said they had a professional come to pull out the pump and they put a pipe inside to unscrew something (they have a similar set up), but I can't find this tool anywhere and also none of the pitless adapaters at Lowes have any screws on top. My friend took a picture of the tool and I'm attaching its picture here as well.

Any thoughts on how I can pull this up?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20230615_151503.jpg
    20230615_151503.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230615_151506.jpg
    20230615_151506.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Well Pump T Screw - 3.jpg
    Well Pump T Screw - 3.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 0
Never seen one of those, but heard they can be a real pain. I believe there is a lever at the back of the pipe holding it to the casing. Then inside the 1" pipe there is a slot or screw that can be turned to release the lever before the pump can be pulled up. That well pump tee you have in your hand looks like it was made to fit over the screw.
pitless lever.jpgpitless screw 1.jpg

This is the type of pitless adapter I have used, and there isn't anything holding them down except the weight of the pump/pipe. You just screw a 1 inch pipe into the top and pull, but I have had to use and A frame and chain hoist.

Attachments

• Pitless adapter.jpg
    Pitless adapter.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 0
the pitless adapter shown above is wonderful and easier to pull out. The one I have is an older model (attached 2nd picture). We ended up getting a 1/2 inch rod and then making the tool ourselves. Dimension of this "socket" that we driilled are 0.8 cm wide and 0.8 cm deep. (which are 0.31 inches - it was so small, it was easier to read on the cm side) We used that to turn the thumb screw inside and then the "flipper" came loose and we pulled out the pump. The pump was about 75 feet deep. We also didn't weld on any Pipe to make it a "T" handle. We used a pipe wrench to spin it counter clockwise..

I saw a similar adapter on winsupply.com which I would have to weld onto a 1/2 inch pipe and they were charging $165 for it. So I'm glad this old rod at home was more than enough.

Attachments

• Well Pump Tool.jpg
    Well Pump Tool.jpg
    545.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 0
Back