How To Locate Underground Water Line??

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gil_happy

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to determine the best method of locating a leaking underground water line in my backyard. Here is what I'm working with - there is a water faucet in the middle of my back yard that must have been installed by one of the previous owners (my home is about 20 year old) which is still functional and was used to water plants, etc by garden hose.

Since the faucet is in the middle of my yard, I have no idea of where this connects back into the house plumbing. I am trying to determine the best way to locate the line back to the house without digging up the entire yard? Since there are no public utilities in my backyard (they are all in the front of the home), do I need to call a private locating service? Can a plumber locate this? Can an electrician locate this?

What is the best method for locating the underground water line all the way back to my home which is approximately 50' away.

Thanks in advance!

Do you have a basement or crawl space.

If you don't want to replace the whole line a private locator can tell you where the line is underground. Not positive but he maybe able to tell you approx where the water is leaking. You can find all this out when you call him for a price.

If you don't want to replace the whole line a private locator can tell you where the line is underground. Not positive but he maybe able to tell you approx where the water is leaking. You can find all this out when you call him for a price.

Yes, thank you for this. After speaking to a private locator, he indicated he can locate both PVC and metal lines. He also stated that he 'could' locate the leak as well.

Latest posts

Back