How to install water line valve at house

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livemusic

Reaction score
I would like to have a shut off valve at my house and there is none. How? The line is PVC, buried underground. I can envision this... dig down to the pipe and cut out, say, a 1 foot section of pipe. Install an "L" fitting on each end and enough pipe in each "L" to bring it above ground a few inches to a foot tall. Then the valve would be installed in the 1 foot section above ground with two more "L's." How else could it be done? Won't this freeze in winter since it's above ground? Do people do it this way and just insulate/wrap the piece above ground? There isn't any simpler way, is it? I mean, you couldn't just install a "T" in the line underground and come up with a vertical riser and install some type of valve, could you? Because the valve would need to be horizontal, inline with flow, right? Sorry for the dumb question, lol.

BTW, what type of valve is best?

Here is a link to a rudimentary drawing of what I envision. The valve being in top section of pipe that would be above ground. The two sections on bottom are the water line coming from the road and going on to the house...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d5odWAjFz2Ot-Cy3AxdmFPCXxsNEe_1_/view?usp=sharing

EDIT: An alternative would be to just install a valve inline with the pipe and sink a box around the valve like the city has at my water meter. I would just have to keep it cleaned out so it doesn't get so funky and muddy that the valve won't open/close. That would also be less susceptible to freezing. What kind of valve would you use?

Last edited:
Code is the transition from the pvc to
I ASSUME copper
has to be within 5' of the building
SO. dig down and find the water line as it exists the slab
find the transition

you should be looking at a male and female adapter screwed together
cut the pvc.
buy a brass threaded ball valve, look for one that says ''full port''
screw that onto the copper..use 2 wrenches, one as a back up
use pipe dope not teflon tape

on the pvc side use a slide coupling