How To Identify Toilet Manufacturer

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JIMMIEM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out who manufactured a toilet. I don't see anything inside the tank or on top of the bowl. There are some numbers inside the tank but no manufacturer name. Any other way to id?

I've replaced the fill valve, flapper, flush arm, etc. so the innards aren't original. I'll don my scuba gear and get some pics. Stay tuned.
Thank you.

I'm trying to figure out who manufactured a toilet. I don't see anything inside the tank or on top of the bowl. There are some numbers inside the tank but no manufacturer name. Any other way to id?
What are the numbers you see?

Let me start over. I discovered a leaking toilet bolt which I addressed in a separate post. I went to a local hardware store and bought the kit that included bolts and the tank to bowl gasket. I replaced the tank bolts and gasket. The old gasket had arms and rubber legs extending off center section of the gasket. The new gasket was just the gasket part (no arms or legs) so I cut the legs off the old gasket and fit them between the tank and bowl. Everything was dry but the tank did not feel rock solid. I figured that maybe it had something to do with the configurations of the old and new gaskets. I looked for a manufacture's name to see if there was a specific gasket similar to the old one. I was in a different hardware store today and saw a gasket that had the exact same configuration as the original. I bought it and matched it up to the old gasket and it seems identical. The packaging says this new gasket fits Briggs and Eljer toilets. I'll install this new gasket and see if this will make the tank more solid feeling.
Thank You.
The new gasket is ACE 4541199....ACE835-78WSHR

The toilet I am working on only has 2 bolts. The gasket changeout should be pretty quick as the bolts are new. One of the original old bolts unscrewed fairly easily....I had to use a recip saw to cut the second bolt....I started to cut it with a hack saw blade but it was taking forever....recip saw took 10 seconds.

Let me start over. I discovered a leaking toilet bolt which I addressed in a separate post. I went to a local hardware store and bought the kit that included bolts and the tank to bowl gasket. I replaced the tank bolts and gasket. The old gasket had arms and rubber legs extending off center section of the gasket. The new gasket was just the gasket part (no arms or legs) so I cut the legs off the old gasket and fit them between the tank and bowl. Everything was dry but the tank did not feel rock solid. I figured that maybe it had something to do with the configurations of the old and new gaskets. I looked for a manufacture's name to see if there was a specific gasket similar to the old one. I was in a different hardware store today and saw a gasket that had the exact same configuration as the original. I bought it and matched it up to the old gasket and it seems identical. The packaging says this new gasket fits Briggs and Eljer toilets. I'll install this new gasket and see if this will make the tank more solid feeling.
Thank You.
The new gasket is ACE 4541199....ACE835-78WSHR

With all due respect, you asked how to identify the toilet. That's what we were focusing on. Sometimes it is easy to identify the toilet based on the numbers that are in the tank. I have seen many brands and can identify most by numbers as I think most of the pros here can.
Just trying to help.

With all due respect, you asked how to identify the toilet. That's what we were focusing on. Sometimes it is easy to identify the toilet based on the numbers that are in the tank. I have seen many brands and can identify most by numbers as I think most of the pros here can.
Just trying to help.

Yes, I did, and I appreciate that you took your time to respond to my post. After posting I happened to be in another hardware store and out of curiosity checked their plumbing section and saw a tank gasket that looked like the original one that I removed i.e. it had the ears and legs. I bought it and matched it to the original....it matched.
At the time of my post I had no idea if this 'ears and legs' style gasket would be easy to find. I figured that if I knew who manufactured the toilet it would be easier to track down a replacement gasket.
Again, I appreciate your help.

Back