How to fix separated PVC elbow coupling below grade

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pplatt002

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum. Per the attached pics, a PVC pipe in my irrigation system separated from its elbow coupling. Is it possible just to clean, prime, and reglue it? Or do Leak-B-Gone rings work? Hoping not to have to cut and replace, if possible. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

20180201_085428_resized.jpg

20180201_085447_resized.jpg

20180201_085604_resized.jpg

20180201_085734_resized.jpg

20180201_090037_resized.jpg

If the PVC is clean from any breaks, then yes, you can reuse. Get a bit of sandpaper and sand off the old glue. Then, where they failed, was not using the purple primer. Apply primer on both pieces, then use some PVC glue. You will be good as new.

Looking at the pipe it looks like it never was glued. Do like havasu said and clean the pipe and the 45 extra good with primer and then glue it good and put back together and let it dry for a day.

You can see where the glue was pushed away from where it was needed because of the lack of the primer, which is a binding agent. It ended up inside the fitting and on the outside of the fitting, past the connection.

You guys are great. I will sand, prime, and glue. Thanks very much.

Seems to be holding for now. But it turns out the pipes sit at about a 48° angle, so one doesn't seat properly in the 45° elbow. Probably contributed to the failure (in addition to the original lack of primer). Dreading having to cut/reposition. :(

Last edited:
They will flex. Pack some dirt to hold the angle as best as possible, bury it, and call it a day. You'll be fine.

lol, I had the same exact situation about a month ago at my house, did the same thing Havasu said, all is good and merry!

:)

Back