How do I remove the head gear nut on this old tap.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mettam

Reaction score
Hi,
There is an old sink in my house, maybe dating back to 1960, and it is time to replace the washer. The problem is I am not sure how to remove the headgear nut so I can get to the washer. I was expecting something I could put a wrench on. Instead, I see a serrated something (nut maybe?) Its something that a wrench won't clasp onto. Can anyone advise how this should be removed? How to pull it out so I can replace the washer.

IMG_2200.jpg
IMG_2201.jpg

Are you against replacing the faucet? That may be the easiest route vs figuring how to get the stem out and finding replacement parts🤷🏻‍♂️ the larger spline part looks like it will either lift out revealing wrench flats or you can use channellock pliers and it will unscrew, or it may break who knows....

It's funny how a job that was supposed to be just to replace the washer has turned into a bathroom remodel, because the only way to get to that washer was to remove the whole facet, which exposed a sink and pipes that were terribly corroded.

One thing you might be doing is squeezing the nut with the teeth on it. That’s bad, it won’t come off that way.

Try to let the teeth of your pliers lock onto the teeth of the nut and turn counterclockwise rather than squeeze.

WD40? (Non-plumber person)

I learned replacing a faucet set once that you can disconnect the plumbing underneath and lift the sink and faucet out. I did not learn this until I replaced the faucet the old fashion way of backing off nuts under the sink, which is very difficult, but just as satisfying for a novice.

Latest posts

Back