How can I add an Air Admittance Valve here?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jchilco21685

Reaction score
Hey folks. Extremely long story short, I need an air admittance valve in our upstairs bathroom.

After a lot of money and mystery, we found out that every time the toilet flushes, it sucks water out of our tub p-trap. I am thinking adding an Air Admittance Valve under the sink ( which is above the other drain fixtures ) will allow the air in.

Yes, I did check the roof vent. Yes, I had a plumber come out and spent a lot of money for nothing.

The only problem is I barely have any pipe to work with after the p-trap. Please see photos.. is there any way I can do this here? Can I swing the P-trap horizontally and tie back into the wall somehow? It appears that where the pipe enters the wall, it actually goes into a large diameter pipe there.

xnuukx.jpg

11vmzvk.jpg

Last edited:
Do you think I have enough room to cut a piece like this and tie in?
2d6wg3a.png

I also found this setup, but I am unable to find where to purchase it online.
dsc01588.jpg

Thank you all for your help. I am new when it comes to PVC / ABS piping. I am unfamiliar with the fittings etc.

You need what I have always heard called a "Magic Trap". It is a compression tee with an AAV above it, that allows the trap to connect to the end of the tee. The question is, whether or not there is room for the compression tee and the trap, or if you need to put in an offset before the tee. Your situation looks close to the edge in that respect.

You need what I have always heard called a "Magic Trap". It is a compression tee with an AAV above it, that allows the trap to connect to the end of the tee.

The question is, whether or not there is room for the compression tee and the trap, or if you need to put in an offset before the tee. Your situation looks close to the edge in that respect.

Is this what you are describing?

1-1/2 Anti-Siphon P-Trap- GENOVA 178151

51XLzlqolRL._SL1280_.jpg

Or this if arm will not fit-

1-1/2 TEE SLIP COUPLER (CRD) - GENOVA 138801

image.aspx

On a learning curve here- :cool:

I also found this setup, but I am unable to find where to purchase it online.

dsc01588.jpg

Shown is not a kit but is made up from two different systems, PVC and PP.

You would turn the PVC sanitary tee (up to forty-five degrees?) for the AAV to clear any plumbing in the way. The AAV also has to be installed at a certain height (correct me if I am wrong) to vent properly.

Back