Hot water in Shower only after briefly turning on Kitchen faucet ho

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spingler

Reaction score
Hi,

I just had some remodeling done, moving a bathroom and leaving an existing bathroom as it was. I also just moved into this house, so don't have a lot of history.
I have a Amtrol indirect fired hot water tank with Gas fired boiler/furnace. The Hot water tank is working as it should. The water is hot.

All hot water in the house is on a single line from the hot water tank. It runs from the tank, to the kitchen faucet, dishwasher, to bathroom #1 to bathroom #2. Bathroom number #1 is still the original plumbing. Bathroom #2's plumbing was moved from 1 side of the house, to the other.
Also, I just replaced the kitchen faucet from a standard single spout moen to a single spout Delta (touch), but plumbing was not changed there.

Now, in the morning, the hot water in bathroom #1 (both shower and sink faucet) is only luke warm.
If I go the kitchen sink, the water is Hot as it should be.
If I turn the Hot water on at the kitchen briefly, the water in bathroom #1 immediately gets HOT too.
Note, the kitchen faucet does not need to stay running Hot for bathroom #1 to get hot. Only turning it on briefly does it.
This scenario is somewhat random, so it is hard to diagnose.

Although I can not confirm, I expect that bathroom #2 will exhibit the same symptoms, but I have not been able to verify yet.

Water pressure is fine everywhere.

Is it possible that there is a vapor lock somewhere and briefly turning on the kitchen faucet clears it?
Thanks a lot

Could be from the newer low flow crap they come out with. try removing the shower head and see if it still does it . maybe take out the flow restrictor.
:cool:
careful the water po-po don't see you do that.

Thanks Mr David.

I will give it look, however both the shower head and tub spout exhibit the same behavior in bathroom #1. I think I may have narrowed it down to a faulty check valve or the faucet itself in the kitchen. If I turn off the supplies to the kitchen faucet, the rest of the house works fine.

Thanks again
Sean

Back