Hot water heater temperature issues

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white32

Reaction score
I have a hot water heater and hot water tank in my commercial laundromat. The hot water heater is brand new. The tank is a holdover from when the place was first built in the early 2000s (see attached pic). It has been brought to my attention that the ideal temperature for a hot water cycle is 130 degrees-therefore I have placed the hot water heater thermostat at 165 in order to hopefully get the tank temperature to 140. This is where my issues began.

I have been tracing the tank temperatures for the last 3 days and they have fluctuated from 115 to 135 with seemingly no pattern. As it is the middle of the week, the wash is pretty slow and I do not expect that we would be anywhere near using up all the water in the tank before the heater can make more (my initial concern was that that would happen on the weekend, but I was hoping to get the temperature stable during the week when volume isn't the limiting factor first).

Any ideas on what's going on here? I don't know much about these systems-was I wrong to expect the tank temperature to stabilize at something just a bit less than the thermostat temperature?

The thermostats have a twenty degree range. I am guessing that your set up consists of the heater, and then the second tank which is used as storage. Typically the storage tank has a temperature sensor, which will turn on a pump as the storage tank cools, and circulate the cooled water back to the boiler unit, for reheating. Your thermostats for the heater, and the storage tank circulation pump need to be the same.

Great information-I never knew there was a separate thermostat for the tank. I just went in there and searched for it and it was laying on the floor connected by a wire to the tank. I set it equal to my heater thermostat-I will keep you posted on the results today.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back