Hot water heater leaking at top fittings (pic).

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tireshark

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
Hot water has been declining for a long time... finally checked on the water heater, and discovered that both fittings are rusty and leaking at the top. The leak is coming from the tank side of the connections. Can i change out the fittings on the tank, or do i need to get a new tank?

Thanks for any advice!

maz4Pl.jpg

IMO, those flex fittings are total garbage, I've changed plenty of them that had pinhole leaks. I would replace them with Dialectic unions and type L copper.

Now.. If it is leaking from the threaded portion of this then unthread and inspect the rubber washer underneith.

Replace the rubber washer and maybe add a wrap of teflon tape to the threads ( even though the threads do not seal anything here really .

...tank side connection leaks ( just re read that ) how old is the tank? you can replace the tank side connections on some tanks ( perhaps all of them ) i believe, but I've never done it so dont quote me on that. if your tank is 10 years or more then its time for a new tank anyways.

hope I've been helpfull :)

I will add to what Liquid has mentioned. If the W/H is over 10/12 years old, it may be time to retire the old gal and purchase a newer, more energy efficient tank. You can replace all the parts mentioned, but sometimes it is necessary to cut your losses.

Small leaks on the fittings will not cause a significant loss of hot water. Unless these are really big leaks, you have other issues to address to get your hot water supply back to normal. Not to say that the leak or leaks don't need to be fixed, obviously they do.

being an electric tank I would gamble that loss of hot water could be a burnt out element, or perhaps a brocken dip tube.

Now.. If it is leaking from the threaded portion of this then unthread and inspect the rubber washer underneith.

I've seen the rubber washers melted before by plumbers not being careful when soldering the fittings.

In the photo, it appears that the installer put brass nipples between the tank and the flex connections. Good for reducing galvanization, but the corrosion may cause the nipples to become brittle and the threads could break off if you try to remove them. Both nipples have water around them as well as old water marks on the top of the tank. A leak at both is uncommon and I would look at a possible leak from the tank into the jacket around it or deterioration from the anode finally made it to the outside of the tank.
As said before, if the tank is 10+ years it might be time for a replacement. If you do replace it, have dielectric connections to the supplies. Also, if you have a water softener the anode will have a shorter life expectancy. Flushing and inspection of an electric tank should be an annual routine. You could get a lot of years from an electric tank with the occasional element replacement and the newer tanks are bit more efficient.

The large water mark in the picture is where the water was when i discovered it. I dried off the top and in about 1.5 hours, the 1 inch depressions around both fixtures were already filled up, so both of them are bad. The tank is at least 20 years old, if not 5-10 more... so guess it's time for a new one anyway.

I think the one we are getting (from lowes) comes with the dielectric nipples installed, and i am just going to use the old copper flex lines for now.

Thanks for all your replies!

I myself am a fan of the steel braided flexible lines myself. For ~ $25, it sure gives me peace of mind.

have seen too many of these "easy" connectors leak, dialectic unions and type L for me .
20 year tank... I would be stoked personally, you got a good deal whatever that tank cost initially.

Back