Hose Bibb Extreme

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricky_25

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Well, I don't know what the deal is here but this bibb (3/4 pipe) seems to be welded on the pipe pretty good. I tried heating it up with a torch (Bernzomatic TS8000 with propane tank) and it would not budge. Do I seriously need to call a welder here ?!? :confused::confused::confused:

See the pics attached.

thanks,
Ricky

20180202_180752.jpg

20180202_180823.jpg

20180202_180914.jpg

Sometimes these things can be a bit of a bugger to take off. Even with the bibb open, any bit of water will make it impossible to unsweat.

I have actually had to use a self tapping screw in the bottom, right between the bibb outlet and the solder joint, at the lowest point to insure all the water is out.

Once you heat this thing up you will know when it gets hot enough because the solder at the joint will start spitting and bubbling. Once that happens, just turn the bibb back and forth while pulling it and you will see it move and eventually it will come out. Make sure you heat up the bibb and not the tee before the bibb! You don't want to compromise the solder at the tee!

:)

heat up the riser below the tee and boil some water out. this will allow the excess water setting in the valve to drain back down into the void you just made in the riser after boiling the water.
Or just cut the bib off with a hacksaw. leave the hex part so you have something to grab and pull off.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, i really appreciate it! What a pain in the arse!

Question: Shall I try the MAP-PRO instead of regular propane? I was reading some positive experiences about this. If we're talking silver solder, I presume the higher heat should make it easier.

Back