hose bibb change out

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bork

Reaction score
I want to change older hose bibbs to ball valve types. Current ones are sweat on and stubs are in brick-so very short. I'm thinking--sweat off the current then sweat on an adapter so I can use a screw on type valve. If I have regular 1/2 in pipe--does it make sense to use a 1/2 in to 3/4 in male? adapter then a 3/4 in (female) valve ? stronger fitting? Thanx for any advice on whats best and any help in not burning down the house-----Bob

if you remove the sweat on type and install a male adapter.

at some point, you will want to remove the screw on hose bib.

and,,,you will twist off the copper when you do.

to remove a soldered hose bib with out burning down the house
remove the handle/ stem/ all inside parts

heat the hose bib it self, the heat will transfer to the pipe

images (6.jpg

No need to install a 3/4" hose bib onto a 1/2" pipe.
It is not going to make the 1/2" pipe stub out any stronger.
Just use a 1/2" female adapter and a 1/2" male HB.
I have used a chrome escutcheon, installed backwards, a time or 2 as a heat shield. you can peel it off after you are done

Thanx for the reponse. Going to try with the female adapter--looks like it gives me a little more extension to do the screw on. Yep will do all 1/2in. Good idea on the eustacheon--but dont think I can get it on since looks like to much of the bibb is buried in and the copper covered with mortar! See photo if it worked. So--guess I will have to try and remove mortar and brick and hopefully dont ding the copper! Yep-realize if I have to do future removal, I could twist off the copper--but at worst could probably just sweat off that female adapter---

0616161343.jpg

That is a sill cock. Normally screwed on. That flange was meant to be flush with the wall.
never seen a sweat on sill cock
The notch on the flange is for a set screw so it wont turn/unscrew

The fitting is normally secured in the wall so you won't twist it off.

Look real close behind flange.You might see a brass nipple instead of copper pipe.

Last edited:
will I guess they do have soldered on sill cocks.

I would cut off the bib with a hack saw with out cutting any of the existing pipe this way the water can drain out.
Push a little white bread into the pipe if it dribbles to much.
That way you don't have to fight the water.

4.png

thanx for help. I finally got to number 7 on the Honey-Do list! Removed some of the brick so I could get to the thing. Yep--its a screwed on sillcock. But its not to a copper fitting. Looks like 3/4 iron pipe? Outside diameter is like .83? Put some penetrating oil on the thread and will see if I can unscrew the thing tomorrow. It was flush with the brick and packed in mortar.

Back