Hooking up stove to old gas drop-moisture in line?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ad8bc

Reaction score
Our house was built in the mid-90s and was both wired and plumbed for gas and electric appliances (they dropped gas to everything, including the fireplace and back deck!).

I have a gas drop to the kitchen from the attic. It terminates at a shutoff valve behind the range (currently electric) and has never been used (as far as I know). I have been kicking around the idea of buying a gas range for quite some time, and, since last week the oven's 17 year old heating element had a catastrophic failure during the preparation of a tuna casserole, I figured now's the time, and I ordered a new gas range yesterday.

I have no qualms about hooking this up myself (I've hooked up plenty of gas appliances)... but last night I had one of those "uh-oh" thoughts pop into my head. Since the gas line comes down from the attic, do I have any worries about moisture collecting in that drop from 17 years of non-use? I know that gas drops have a little stub beneath them to collect water and such... I just have this image in my head of a half-gallon of water collecting in that pipe over the years and dumping into my new range. (I've worked with industrial compressed air piping and it's moisture issues, and I expect A LOT LESS moisture in natural gas... but still... somebody talk me down)

I should note that when we moved in five years ago I did the same thing with the dryer (previous homeowners all had electric and never touched the gas drop) and had no problem. but I also didn't have that thought pop into my head either.

I don't think it should be a problem. But if it will make you feel better then turn the gas off at the meter and open the valve for the stove to drain any moisture that may be there. But I don't think you will find any moisture.

John

"Hello ad8bc",

The Moisture Content of Natural Gas - supplied to Households and Commercial Organisations is No More than perhaps 30 to 60 Parts per MILLION - You definitely will NOT encounter any `Water` build up when You uncap the Gas Pipe Valve.

CHRISM

Yeah, I worried about nothing... Hooked up the new range last night. Opened that valve and nothing but beautiful natural gas -- and Butanethiol... :)

Back