Honeywell Zone Valve Problem.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cob

Reaction score
I just recently moved into a renovated apartment and the first 2 nights I noticed it was quite cold. I checked the zone valve which was just replaced, 1/2 inch Honeywell ZV on a 3/4' base heater, the arrow was pointing to Hot water, One shut off valve is hot the other is cold, Arrow was facing the hot. So I turned it around and instance heat in the house, all good! the arrow is now facing the flow of water, few hours pass and now we notice a loud bang and shake of the copper through the rooms. All night long whenever it shuts..
Ive done research and removed one spring.. no good. I called my landlord they had a plumber come in and he turned it back around, and said it doesnt matter about the flow it goes this way.. Im a professional sprinkler flitter and I install all parts with arrows in the direction of flow. The plumber didnt understand what i ment.. but the heat does work.. and its quite.... but it didnt work backwards when i moved in??!!

the bang you are hearing is because when you switched it around you then installed it backwards. the bang is because this is a usually slow acting valve and it closes against the flow, when you flipped it it is now being quickly slammed shut by the water flow ( like slamming a door )

what you likely have is a weak or aged zone valve, If you were able to flip it around then you're able to install a new one.... problem solved, just dont install it backwards...

A goes to B or flow goes that way ---------------->
not the other way around, if you get a BANG... its backwards.

Thank you for your help, Everything you have explained is exactly what I know, The issue here is, When the valve is out, I can open valves and i KNOW which way the flow is going --------> and my valve is installed right now <--------- against the flow! When the arrow goes With the flow It bangs, I am A sprinkler fitter, of course i know how to change it, But im not going to pay for install a new valve when it works now, apparently "backwards".. When i install it the direction of the flow I get a loud bang! I know 100% fact you install with flow, yet the plumber who came in Insisted he install it against flow to reduce the bang.. which did work...

Back