Home plumbing subjected to high water pressure

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattio

Reaction score
A mistake was made by the company managing the restoration of our basement. They told the plumbers to remove the Pressure Reducing Valve for unknown reasons. They replaced it with a simple ball valve. I came home late at night and noticed our water pressure was very high. I put a rain bird gauge on our frost free faucet and the pressure was 140 psi! I turned off the main water supply and demanded they come back and re-install the pressure reducing valve. My question is how much damage could be done to our plumbing/water heater by the pressure being that high for a day?

Probably none. regulators often fail leaving systems with high water pressure for periods of time is the. If you get it reinstalled, you should be OK

I disagree. Over a long period of time it could very well make seals etc fail. No self respecting plumber in my opinion would have take it out.

I disagree. Over a long period of time it could very well make seals etc fail. No self respecting plumber in my opinion would have take it out.

Thanks guys but what do you mean by a "long time"? Would you consider 14 hours a long time?

Thanks guys, but what do you mean by a "long time"? Would you consider 14 hours a long time? Thanks

Back