Historic Plumbing Practices

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enertech

Reaction score
Hi -

I am trying to evaluate the historical presence of electrical grounding currents on residential water pipes and drains in various cities/states across the United States. The NESC requires an electrical ground to either a driven ground rod or to metallic water pipes (to prevent electrical shocks). Grounding to water pipes can allow electrical currents to flow on metallic piping. However, the use of plastic water pipes and plastic drains for residential plumbing and mains has increased over the years (since plastic piping was introduced in the mid 1960's I believe). Plastic pipes and drains would not allow ground currents to be present. So I am looking for information (perhaps from retired plumbers) on residential grounding practices and the evolution of plastic pipe use from the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's. What materials were commonly used, when did they change, how quickly did they change, in what areas of the country, etc.

I know this is a tall order, but any advice/experience/recommendations would be appreciated - Thanks!

electricans ground their meter box to a ground rod, driven into the ground at the meter

they were grounding to copper piping in the 80 and 90..i do not know about now

I witnessed a lightening rod installer, ground his rods to a gas line...I threw a fit, and he moved his ground to the copper piping.

I heard, the house was hit by lightening, the copper pipes were unsoldered, with water in the lines.

Back