High water table discovered after breaking up concrete for drain install

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason27

Reaction score
I just broke up the concrete trenches to install pipe for a toilet, shower, and lav feeding to an existing ejector pit. I haven't yet began to dig up the rock and dirt but did in one small spot to see what I'm dealing with. Just under the plastic sheating, the pepple-ish dirt was right at the level of the water table. Serves me right for trying this in spring rains, but I didn't think the table would be THAT high. Now I need advice on what I should consider. Obviously this is going to be a messy dig and all I can do is dig out and dry fit the pipes in the water. When I go to glue them, I need to try to lift them above the water and glue them with letting them get wet.

Some of my questions are:

1) What's the best practice here? Any tips or suggestions?

2) Do I lay back down plastic sheeting before I put concrete back in? Seems like since the plastic isnt sealed to the existing sheating, what's the point.

Last edited:
There's already an existing sump pit in the basement that runs about every 20-60 mins. Waiting isn't an option. I'm in the midst of the project and not going to leave my floor all cracked up so looking for tips to get the job done.

I would put plastic back down before you pour. Tape it to the existing. It will help keep the concrete from setting in moist soil. That vapor barrier is important in moist soil.

Back