High capacity chamber or septic stack?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enoughsepticwoes

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm building a house on a lake in Georgia and have to choose a septic technology. The house will be an Airbnb, as well as our summer 2nd home when it's not rented out. I have plenty of space for traditional septic lines, but the health department suggests high capacity reduced length lines.

The very experienced septic field guy who has been helping us with a field failure at our current house says the high capacity chambers the health department recommends are a racket for them and the manufacturer, and they collapse all the time. He recommends Septic Stack which he says you can drive on without collapsing, whereas the high capacity chambers have gotten thinner and thinner over his career to the point where they are flimsy and collapse all the time. He often has to go out just a few years after he installs them to repair collapsed chambers.

The 30 years experienced builder we mentioned this to says the septic field guy is crazy, the builder has used high capacity for many years and never has a problem.

So I guess I'm asking, what are the pros and cons of septic stack vs something like an infiltrator quick4? The Georgia environmental health docs I can find just list them both (and other technologies) without any selection criteria. The docs also claim both technologies have the same load bearing ability e.g. 4000lbs/axle at 6 in cover.

Who should I believe? What should I put in at my lake house?

Thanks twowaxhack, but as a layman what do I compare? I've seen both of the physical services (we're putting septic stack in to fix our current house woes). The problem is I'm getting conflicting opinions from experts - does high capacity chamber indeed collapse over time or not? Does septic stack bear more weight or the same as chamber? Why not just go with the cheapest? Etc.

You would compare the thickness and over all structural quality and connection methods.

I’d go with whoever is going to warranty what they install.

I’d be more worried renting out my septic tank to strangers than what type approved system is installed.

Rental property and septic systems in my experience is a bad idea. Remember who told you that.

Latest posts

Back