Help_Need Advice Please_Septic Tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blaze

Reaction score
I am new here. I hope I am posting in the right forum. Here is my problem now. I will try to explain it as simply as I know how since I am a newbie when it comes to these sorts of things. I am ok until something goes wrong and then I panic, LOL.

Ok, here is the problem now. I don't live in the city limits, so I can not connect to city water and sewer. My water is ok. I had a deep well dug many years ago so I should have decent water for some time to come. The problem is my septic tank. The septic tank is over 30 years old I think. I have had 4 mobile homes in this same spot since I purchased the 5 acres of land and moved here. All 4 mobile homes have been connected to this same septic tank.

The problem is my septic tank is not draining. Thankfully, it is not backing up in the house yet. There is just a huge wet spot in the front yard. I just had it pumped out again and it is overflowing again. I suppose the effluent is not being drained via the leach field where it is reabsorbed into the earth.

My questions now.

1. Do those online bacteria products that advertise to unclog things and reopen up your drainfield work and are they worth it in your opinion? Some have money back guarantees.

2. I hear that if the drainfied needs to be dug up and replaced, that pricetag could run anywhere between 5 and 15 thousand dollars. Ouch! That is a lot of money and I don't have a lot of money. LOL Is this true?

3. Maybe the septic tank and the leachfield need replacing? How likely is this? Isn't the septic tank itself just a large concrete container recessed in the earth. Why would it ever need replacing?

4. My mother lives with me and has flowers planted all over the place, one right by the septic tank. Image I imagine these sorts of things will just add to the cost if they are in the way b/c these things have to be dug up.

5. If you were me, what would you try doing 1st?

6. I looked in the yellow pages. What kind of a person or company would I even call for something like this? This is not a problem rotor rooter can solve, correct? I don't know what to even look for.

7. I have one final question I will ask after I get back some replies from you experts here. I really need some guidance please as to the best way to go from here.

Thanks everyone and I hope y'all are having a terrific day.

I would start by digging up the outlet side of the tank to make sure the outlet piping is still connected to the tank or the outlet port/line isn't blocked with roots. Do you have a one tank system ?

I would start by digging up the outlet side of the tank to make sure the outlet piping is still connected to the tank or the outlet port/line isn't blocked with roots. Do you have a one tank system ?
Hi IFIXH20. I have a one tank system I think. How deep would I have to dig to find the outlet line to the tank? Is it connected near the top or somewhere in the middle? Thanks for your reply.

I am new here. I hope I am posting in the right forum. Here is my problem now. I will try to explain it as simply as I know how since I am a newbie when it comes to these sorts of things. I am ok until something goes wrong and then I panic, LOL.

Ok, here is the problem now. I don't live in the city limits, so I can not connect to city water and sewer. My water is ok. I had a deep well dug many years ago so I should have decent water for some time to come. The problem is my septic tank. The septic tank is over 30 years old I think. I have had 4 mobile homes in this same spot since I purchased the 5 acres of land and moved here. All 4 mobile homes have been connected to this same septic tank.

The problem is my septic tank is not draining. Thankfully, it is not backing up in the house yet. There is just a huge wet spot in the front yard. I just had it pumped out again and it is overflowing again. I suppose the effluent is not being drained via the leach field where it is reabsorbed into the earth.

My questions now.

1. Do those online bacteria products that advertise to unclog things and reopen up your drainfield work and are they worth it in your opinion? Some have money back guarantees.
Probably not worth spending the time or money on.

2. I hear that if the drainfied needs to be dug up and replaced, that pricetag could run anywhere between 5 and 15 thousand dollars. Ouch! That is a lot of money and I don't have a lot of money. LOL Is this true?
Yes, this can be an expensive process.

3. Maybe the septic tank and the leachfield need replacing? How likely is this? Isn't the septic tank itself just a large concrete container recessed in the earth. Why would it ever need replacing?

If your septic system is 30 years old, the tank almost certainly does not meet modern code requirements. Replacing the drainfield would require bringing the tank up to code as well. Newer codes require larger tanks, with multiple compartments and outlet filters.
4. My mother lives with me and has flowers planted all over the place, one right by the septic tank. Image I imagine these sorts of things will just add to the cost if they are in the way b/c these things have to be dug up.
Only if you want to save them, and then I would recommend that you dig them up yourself. An excavating machine isn't the "tool of choice" for digging up flowers for replanting.

5. If you were me, what would you try doing 1st?

6. I looked in the yellow pages. What kind of a person or company would I even call for something like this? This is not a problem rotor rooter can solve, correct? I don't know what to even look for.

Look around for a reputable local septic company. If you read customer reviews, look for a company whose customers talk about the company doing a thorough investigation before they recommend a course of action. The company representative should be able to explain to you why they are recommending the repair that they are, in terms that allow you to understand it.

I would not recommend calling Roto Rooter for this situation.

7. I have one final question I will ask after I get back some replies from you experts here. I really need some guidance please as to the best way to go from here.

Thanks everyone and I hope y'all are having a terrific day.

Thanks for your response phishfood. Ok, here is my second question for you. The old septic tank is located in the front yard. Would it not be cheaper and easier to just cap this one and have a new septic tank and leach-field installed in the backyard and just reroute the black 4" (I think it is a 4" black line) outlet pipe from the mobile home to the new tank. It seems like this would be cheaper and easier to put a new tank and leach-field down rather than trying to dig up the old one and the leach-field in the front yard.

How long does something like this take? What is the black outlet pipe (underneath the mobile home) called? I mean what is it made of? It is not like the white PVC pipe. Thanks for your help.

The black plastic pipe coming from a mobile home is usually ABS pipe.
Thanks havasu. Do they only use ABS in mobile homes? My current mobile home is approx. 15 years old.

My 1984 Kaufman and Broad mobile vacation home has ABS, and every mobile I've seen in 20+ years is ABS.

Back