Help with removing/install kitchen faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLev

Reaction score
20180704_141952.jpg Hi all, looking for some help with a new faucet install for my kitchen sink. It looks like it should be an easy job, except that I have little plumbing knowledge. The faucet I'm removing has copper supply lines. They are connected with pex connectors into the copper pipe.

I'm unsure of how to remove the pex lines. Should I cut it and pull it out or is there some other trick to it? I've got the new faucet and two pex connectors. Are there any fittings or couplers needed? I went into this thinking this was all I needed but am now questioning that.

Picture of the lines attached.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Start at the upper copper and follow it down to the brass connector. That is the coupling that you unscrew and will connect to the new faucet. Although the plastic lines are in need of replacement, without a lower pic, I can't tell you if a new stainless steel braided line will work or not, but should.

Start at the upper copper and follow it down to the brass connector. That is the coupling that you unscrew and will connect to the new faucet. Although the plastic lines are in need of replacement, without a lower pic, I can't tell you if a new stainless steel braided line will work or not, but should.

Thanks for the reply. So once I unscrew the coupling, do just yank out the plastic lines? I was concerned something might bust as I need to use some force to remove, it seems.

The bottom of the copper that you can't see just goes down a few more inches into holes underneath the cabinet.

Unless you have individual shut off valves, you will need to shut down the incoming water line, then adding separate shut off valves.

Unless you have individual shut off valves, you will need to shut down the incoming water line, then adding separate shut off valves.

Yes they do have individual shut off valves. So should I then just be able to remove the plastic lines and then remove the faucet? What is the best way to get the plastic lines out?

And then I should just be able to replace with the new faucet (with same copper supply lines) and new plastic lines?

It is difficult to see from that picture how it is all set up. However, as far as the plastic lines are concerned, there should be a nut at both ends of those plastic lines. The copper coming down from the faucet has male threads. Then the top of the plastic line has a large brass nut. Unscrew that brass nut to release the top of the plastic line. Similarly, it looks like the copper pipe coming up has a male threaded adapter soldered to it, and the bottom of the plastic line has a nut that screws on to that male adapter. Unscrew that nut, and the plastic line should come free.

I don't know what brand of faucet you are reinstalling, but, if Moen, they come with long flex lines that are part of the faucet. If another brand, you may have to buy new braided flex lines to connect. Just connect those flex lines to the male adapters on the copper, and you should be good to go.

Moen flex lines connect to a 3/8" male adapter. It's hard to tell from your picture, but I believe that is what your male adapters are. If you have to buy separate flex lines, they are typically 1/2" on one end (to connect to the male threads coming down from the faucet) and 3/8" on the other end to connect to the male adapter. Yours may be different.

Back