Help with Dishwasher Drain Install

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandiy

Reaction score
I've run into some trouble with my kitchen renovation. I have a dishwasher that needs to be installed but its nowhere near my sink. Is it possible to install a drain to my laundry room below my kitchen like this?
thumb1_dishwasher-hookup-455.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

dishwasher hookup.jpg

It should have a trap on it, does the drain line come out of the floor that high? Or go up to main floor, u might have bigger issues if not.

Your dishwasher should drain to kitchen sink plus you can't got to stand pipe of washer

Not all drain to the kitchen sink,I think his was far away, put a trap with a clean out in it for easy cleaning sine it’s a dishwasher drain, tie close to a toilet or sink, tub , shower for flushing flow.

Tie into the kitchen drain below in the basement. Run the drain over towards where the dishwasher is above and put a trap. Tie the drain hose into the trap so it is sealed tight.

Thanks for the comments. Two pieces to touch on here.

I cant tie into the kitchen sink drain because its across the room (roughly 10 feet away). Which would mean I would have to rip up my floor, right?
UPDATE: i just checked where my sink drain leads and it turns away from the kitchen and then down into my rental apartment in the basement. So I have no way to drain to the sink.

The drain that's in my basement is the one that my washer drains into (the black drain in the picture). Would I be alright if I placed a trap in the drain that I intended to install through the floor (the grey drain) to my dish washer? So essentially, the drain would come from my dishwasher, through the floor, through a trap, then drain vertically into the drain that is in the basement.

drain-drawing-457.jpg

Last edited:
After some more research I came up with this. Sorry for the crude drawings.

Will this work?? I'll install a trap and air vent behind the dishwasher with the remaining drain going through the floor and connecting to the laundry drain in the basement.

updated-drain-install-458.jpg

You can run it to your wash machine stand pipe. Just install a Mr. Drain air gap and you’re good to go. We use those for a/c condensate drains when needed.

Thanks Ricky. That seems to be my only solution. Is there any code saying the air gap has to be above a countertop? I was hoping to hide it behind the dishwasher.

Thanks Ricky. That seems to be my only solution. Is there any code saying the air gap has to be above a countertop? I was hoping to hide it behind the dishwasher.

No, install the Mr. Drain air gap on the wash machine stand pipe and connect the dishwasher drain hose directly to it.

Latest posts

Back