HELP: Sprinkler RPZ valve and test cock port issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrsitine

Reaction score
Hello,

Please take a look at the picture I have attached below.

Three years ago after our sprinkler company winterized our sprinkler, we suddenly experienced strong water flood coming out from bottom test cock port. Water was also leaking from bottom valve. We tightened the bottom valve and water from both bottom valve and bottom test cock port stopped.

The sprinkler company told us that sprinkler system (RPZ valves and test cock ports) is defective and we need to replace it.

However, we thought it was strange that the water stopped, aftter we tightened the bottom valve. We thought it might have been because the bottom valve was not closed tight. Therefore, we did not use sprinkler during last year and we never had any flood issue any more.

This year, I explained this to the sprinkler company, asked them to check the system and activate the sprinkler.

However, they opened the top RPZ valve and water was flooding out. They still told me that our sprinkler system needs to be replaced. After their visit, we have water leak from top test cock port.

They also told me that we do not have shut off valve so it needs to be installed.

Here goes my question.

01. Can someone explain to me what these 4 parts are? (top and bottom RPZ valves and top and bottom test cock ports)

02. How can sprinkler company winterize our sprinkler system if we do not have shut off valve?

03. Do you think we had water flood 3 years ago because our sprinkler system was defective? The water flood stopped after we tightened the bottom valve.

03. Why do we suddenly have water leak again from top test cock port?

I apprecate your help in advance!

20130719_170207.jpg

First off you don't have an RPZ. If your sprinkler company thinks it's an RPZ you need a different company. The device you have is a double check. The test cocks are used to test the device. This should be done yearly by a certified backflow tester. From the look of the two test cocks they're both on. To turn them off the screw driver slot needs to be in the same direction that the water line is running. The reason the water leak stop is because you turned the water off to the system.

John is right that's a double check and its mostly installed incorrectly, they are to be installed horizontally unless other wise stated in the manual, also you are missing two test cocks on that one, kinda hard to test it with out all the ports on it. Price wise should be less then 300$ for materials to install with labor added on top of that. Me I would get a new one all together might be cheaper the paying to have someone replace the springs and rubber gaskets. If your sprinkler company calls it an RPZ then change companies super fast. If the install a new one make sure you see the techs back flow card to make sure it's current.

I appreciate your replies so much!

Yes, the sprinkler company told me that they are RPZ valves and they do not replace these because this is plumbing job. They referred me a plumber who will come to my house tomorrow. I guess the plumber will replace our double check with RPZ valves. Is it all right and necessary to replace double check with RPZ valves? Do you think that we had water flood in 2011 because we have defective double check?

Also, they told me that it will cost more than $600 and our existing RPZ was installed wrong because they were supposed to be installed horizontally... (We moved into this house a few years ago and this sprinkler system existed before we moved in.) I guess they thought our double check was RPZ...

Sprinkler company was the only one who managed the double check because this is sprinkler system. I feel that sprinkler company should have had certified back flow tester, then. Is sprinkler company supposed to have certified back flow tester because they manage sprinkler?

I am at a loss because water leak started after sprinkler company left and I did not know. :( I am trying to dry out the place but it seems that mold is already developing... I do not know how the water line is running. By looking at the picture, can you please guess how our water line is running and advise where to turn the screw slots, so that I can stop the leak?

I appreciate your help in advance!

The water leak came from open test cocks. RPZ's are more expensive than DBL checks. A DBL check is all that is needed. In fact most water companies only require PVB's. (Pressure Vacuum Breaker) Which are cheaper yet. Check with your water company they will tell you what device they require along with a list of certified testers in your area.

johnjh2o, I appreciate your reply very much.

I am sorry that I have one more question. I understand that current water leak is due to misaligned slots. Is it possible that we had water flood from bottom valve in 2011, because those slots were not aligned with the direction of water? (I do not know the water direction but slots were not aligned with each other.)

I want to make sure because it seems that they are trying to replace something that was not cause of the problem...

Thanks in advance.

The best way to check if you have a leak problem would be to turn the water back on. If it leaks out of the test cocks try turning the slots to shout them down. At the worst they will have to be replaced. When the system was winterized they were turned on to drain the system. From your first post my guess is he didn't turn the main valve off completely which caused water to come out of the open test cocks.

Hi, I had to come back with more questions.

I was offered with two different options for our current system and do not know which one to go with... Would you please give me any advice? We are away very often and I am worried that I may have water flood again... It is cold here during the winter.

Option 1
1. Remove double check and just connect with pipes.
2. Install Pressure Vacuum Breaker outside.

Option 2.
1. Replace double check with new one.
2. Add strainer and a drain T with valve at double check (downstream from it).
3. Add new shut off valves at branch T connection to copper and one before.
4. Install Pressure Vacuum Breaker outside.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
John,

Thanks for the reply! Did you mean PRV, not PVB? May I ask how PRV and PVB will be different in my situation?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you!

The plumber told me that he will charge $550 for removing the double check and installing pipe instead of double check and installing PVB... Do you think this sounds reasonable? I am asking because someone mentioned that replacing the double check should be less than $300...

Not being a plumber I won't comment on "P" anything. I will say that since I live in Florida and most people here have sprinkler systems, sprinkler installers are a dime a dozen. Some of them start out as landscapers (lawn cutters) then graduate to sprinkler experts. I can't tell you how many water well systems these guys have screwed up by not knowing anything about them but are still willing to try and make adjustments, change things out etc. Like previously stated: Get three estimates and ask to see their license. If they don't have one, send them packing.

John,

Thanks for helping me out so far. I finally scheduled a service.

I am very surprised that most plumbers around this area does not know the difference between RPZ and double check. There are also some people who does not know what RPZ or double check is. I am talking about plumbers who are top listed in Angie's list.

If I did not get your help, it would have been very difficult for me.

Speedbump, I appreciate your advice, too!

Back