Help! Shower: Baseboards swelling

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlars

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a young new homeowner and I finished my basement on my own. I completed it back in Dec. 2015 and my roommate just informed me that the baseboards surrounding the shower has a leak? They are pretty swelled up (please see attached photos). Since I am a young adult, in school, work full time I honestly don't have a lot of funds, but need some advice of what this could be and what the fix may be along with maybe a an estimate to DYI or have someone come in. When it rains, it really does pour :(.

Thank you to anyone in advance who can give me guidance and information about this.

Shower 1.jpg

Shower 2.jpg

Shower 3.jpg

From what I can tell from the pictures my guess would be that your shower is leaking into the wall or behind it. My first guess is the pan was not water proofed. How did you seal it?

I honestly am not sure how it was sealed before. I had a friend do this part of the basement. I figured he knew how to do this since he'd done this kind of work before. Could it possibly bad chalking around the shower and glass well based on where the leak is? It seems to be leaking on the side corners and even in the middle front.

Could be a bad caulk job. Check the hole length of the bead on both sides and make sure there are no voids.

Back