Help removing/identifying shower handle

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpl

Reaction score
Could really use some help here - have spent hours and getting nowhere fast. The end goal is to fix a leaky shower head.

I’ve removed the set screw, but can’t seem to get the handle off. Have tried twisting the spacer/escutcheon (which spins freely) as well as pulling both the handle and the spacer. Can anyone help?

I’m eventually trying replace the cartridge as that seems to be the most likely solution. Making things a bit more challenging, I can’t find the model or even the brand of the handle to google how to remove the handle - the brand nor model don’t appear to be on the handle or behind the trim plate.

The shower head is Moen, but when I contacted them to ask for assistance, they said the handle isn’t theirs (The shower head and handle came with the house when we bought it so we don’t know what the handle brand is or where it came from).

Hoping someone can help… If I can remove the handle, then I'm assuming the cartridge will have a visible model number.

Pics below. Please let me know if you have any ideas. Thank you!

Shower Handle.jpg

Shower handle 2.jpg
Shower handle 3.jpgShower Handle.jpg

It’s Kohler.

If you’ve removed the set screw then you’ll just need to wiggle the handle back and forth to loosen it. It can corrode onto the stem and get stuck.

You might have to use some force. The stem might break on the cartridge and then you’ll have to replace the cartridge and remove the broken piece from the handle.

As always, be able to turn all the water off incase of an emergency.

You can hire me to come make the repair.

I have a one week minimum charge of $7500.00, air fare of $1200.00, Hotel $2100 and $1,000 for food. Parts are sold at cost and are itemized. Parts for your job are estimated at $1,000.

I require cash payment one week in advance of your service date.

No warrranty.

Total is $12,800.00.

Welcome to year 2050 where there are about 4-5 plumbers in the whole United States.

🤣

It’s Kohler.

If you’ve removed the set screw then you’ll just need to wiggle the handle back and forth to loosen it. It can corrode onto the stem and get stuck.

You might have to use some force. The stem might break on the cartridge and then you’ll have to replace the cartridge and remove the broken piece from the handle.

As always, be able to turn all the water off incase of an emergency.

Thank you! Would you recommend using a Faucet handle puller?

Thank you! Would you recommend using a Faucet handle puller?

Not really. Unless you had a slide type that I don’t believe are even made any longer, there’s no hole in the front of the handle for a puller to be used.

Twowaxhack - what about if I remove the screws holding the metal plate (3rd picture)? Would I then be able to remove the entire unit and replace the cartridge from the backside?

The handle is connected to the cartridge stem. It needs to come off.

Twowaxhack -

While I wait for the puller to be delivered, Kohler suggested turning the skirt (A) counter clockwise. That didn't do anything - it just spins freely. Wondering if they meant to spin the bonnet (B)? That's easier said than done but wondering if you had any thoughts.
Thank you again.

IMG_3658.JPG

Got it! It was B. It screwed off. I unscrewed the two screws holding the plate to the pipes and was able to pull the whole unit out. I then soaked it in vinegar and water and also used some liquid wrench eventually was able to wrestle it open. Thank you again.

If there was no set screw in “b “ then yes it has to screw off.

I’ve never worked on that particular faucet trim so I had no idea.

Good work getting the job done.

Latest posts

Back