Help Installing Dishwasher

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elisa73

Reaction score
We are a DIY couple in front of the newest dilemma: how to install our dishwasher when the trap under the sink is so short.

As is there is no room to insert the waste pipe (excuse my wrong terminology, I hope you understand my meaning) on the top side of the p-trap.

What do you usually do in such cases? Can you make the p-trap longer/lower so to make more room for the dishwasher?

If not, what would you do?

Thanks!
Elisa

ps. the dishwasher is on the right side of the sink

photo (4).jpg

I would start with getting rid of that cheesy plastic basket strainer. Use a stainless basket strainer with a large nut that tightens directly against the bottom of the sink, that will gain you maybe 3", plenty to install a dishwasher branch flanged tailpiece.

Thank you Phishfood,

We were thinking the cheesy strainer was a good one since it came with the sink. Are these basket strainers all compatible with each other (and the various sinks)?
I mean can I go to Home Depot tomorrow and find one to replace mine with no problem? What do I need to tell them? The size of my "sink hole"?

Thank you so much, and after having been working on our new home for a year now, I really appreciate the work of plumbers. Complicated but interesting. Some things we've done ourselves, but we also know when to call in the pro (this we should be able to tackle on our own, I hope).
Elisa

Thank you again, Phishfood, your comment steered us in the right direction... and we did it (well, hubby did this one all on his own)!

photo (5).jpg

Back